This section is from the book "A Treatise On Architecture And Building Construction Vol4: Plumbing And Gas-Fitting, Heating And Ventilation, Painting And Decorating, Estimating And Calculating Quantities", by The Colliery Engineer Co. Also available from Amazon: A Treatise On Architecture And Building Construction.
(1) What advantage has creosote stain over paint for exterior work?
(2) What is (a) burnt umber? (b) raw sienna?
(4) How may paint be ground on a small scale?
(5) (a) What is carmine? (b) What are lakes?
(6) What is cathedral glass?
(7) What are the largest sizes of paint brushes termed?
(8) How is white lead manufactured by the Dutch process?
(9) Into what two classes may colors used for glass staining be divided?
(10) What brushes are called "tools"?
(11) With what is white lead most frequently adulterated?
(12) (a) What is zinc white? (b) When is it used for house painting?
(13) How may large brushes be preserved when not in use?
(14) What special implements in painted work are used to imitate the grain of woods?
(15) What is (a) ivory black? (b) lampblack?
(16) How may the quality of linseed oil be tested?
(17) Describe the pencil overgrainer.
(18) (a) What is Frankfort black? (b) For what purpose is it largely used?
(19) How wide is cartridge or felt paper?
(20) How many coats of paint should all new woodwork receive?
(21) Describe the process of making indigo blue.
(22) On a painted door, or other paneled work, how should the brush marks run?
(23) (a) What is "stopping"? (b) When is it done?
(24) From what is Prussian blue obtained?
(25) What is "knotting "?
(26) What is "flatting"?
(28) What two fluid mediums are most frequently used as vehicles in graining?
(29) How is (a) Naples yellow obtained? (b) King's yellow?
(30) What function does oil fulfil in paints?
(31) Describe the distinguishing characteristics of (a) oil painting; (b) water-color painting; and (c) distemper painting.
(32) What is (a) litharge? (b) massicot?
(33) How are the edges treated, when hanging the finest wall papers?
(34) What is meant by the term "glazing" when applied to painted work?
(35) (a) What are stencil plates? (b) How used?
(36) What are stains?
(37) (a) What is a secondary color? (b) How many are there?
(38) In gilding over painted work, why and how are white of egg and whiting used?
(39) What are the three principal kinds of glass used in architectural work?
(40) What is vermilion?
(41) Describe briefly the process of overgraining.
(42) Give the ingredients and their proportions for a good furniture varnish.
(43) What is "magilp"?
(44) (a) How is plate glass made? (b) How finished?
(45) Describe briefly the process of graining to imitate mahogany.
(46) What color best contrasts (a) with blue? (b) with green?
(47) What is red lead?
(48) How is purple paint made?
(49) Where, in interior decoration, may stenciled work be applied with advantage?
(50) What is varnish?
(51) What characteristics determine the quality of a varnish?
(52) How may paper be hung over damp walls?
(53) For what purpose may red lead be used, outside of its use in the mixing of red paint?
(54) What are the primary colors?
(55) Of what and how are stencils usually made?
(56) In what apartments should varnished paper be hung?
(57) What is cochineal?
(58) Name four green pigments obtained from copper.
(59) What are semineutral colors?
(60) Describe briefly the process of imitating Italian pink marble.
(61) Describe the process of stenciled inlay.
(62) (a) What is turpentine? (b) What is oil of turpentine?
(63) How is gilding usually finished in decorative work?
(64) What oil is most generally used as a vehicle for paints?
(65) How should walls be prepared for papering?
(66) What is boiled oil?
(67) What are "skewings"?
(68) What is a tertiary color?
(69) Name two good driers for light tints.
(70) What is the width and length of a roll of domestic wall paper?
(71) Describe briefly the process of making crown glass.
(72) What wood manifests an antidrying property?
(73) (a) What are driers? (b) How do they act?
(74) What pigments are affected by dampness and impure air?
(75) Give a receipt for black-walnut stain.