This section is from the book "Cyclopedia Of Architecture, Carpentry, And Building", by James C. et al. Also available from Amazon: Cyclopedia Of Architecture, Carpentry And Building.
1. What is the usual arrangement in regard to use of party walls?
4. How is ashlar bonded, and what must be observed in backing stone with bricks?
9. Give two formulae for the safe load on piling. What condition of moisture is necessary for the preservation of piling?
10. What is a rowlock arch? A gauged arch?
11. Describe the process of laying bricks. What common practice must be guarded against?
13. What is broken ashlar? Make simple sketch.
14. Why are bricks wet, and how should it be done?
16. What is "English bond?" "Flemish bond?" Make a sketch of each.
17. How should stone sills be bedded? Why?
19. What are some of the common finishes given to cut stone?
20. What is skeleton construction?'
22. How may hollow brick walls be bonded, and what precaution is necessary?
23. Give a brief summary of the six "general rules for laying cut stone."
20. Describe the construction of a fireproof vault.
29. Mention four important things to be considered in the planning of mercantile buildings.
30. Show by a sketch some common forms of steel columns. Which are "open," and which "closed columns?"
31. Describe the "end method" terra-cotta floor arch. "Side method."
33. What is the "dead load" of a building? "Live load?" Why should not all of the latter be always used in determining footings?
34. What should be noted in inspecting riveting and splicing? Why is bolting not as good as riveting?
36. Describe the Expanded Metal concrete floor.
37. How are level ceilings formed under fireproof floors and roofs?
38. Of what material should soil pipes in high buildings be made, and how put together? Why?
39. How may fireproof partitions be made?
40. Make a sketch of an ordinary type of steel girder. What are separators and how are they used?
41. What particular qualities are desirable in a fireproof floor?
42. Describe the "Ransome" floor construction.
43. What is wind pressure, and how are its effects guarded against in high buildings?
44. Why must tie rods be used in some forms of floor construction? What is the common size?
45. Describe two methods of fireproofing a steel column.
47. Describe a fireproof partition of metal lathing.
48. What must be particularly observed in the setting of terracotta floor arches?
49. What must be noted in the inspection of a steel frame?
50. How may exterior windows in mercantile buildings be made fireproof?