This section is from the book "Cyclopedia Of Architecture, Carpentry, And Building", by James C. et al. Also available from Amazon: Cyclopedia Of Architecture, Carpentry And Building.
4. Give an analysis of one cubic yard of concrete.
6. What will a square of slating cost?
7. Analyze the cost of a square of flooring.
9. How many cubic feet of wall will a thousand bricks lay?
10. Give an analysis of the cost of 100 square yards of 2-coat plastering.
12. How many square feet will 1000 shingles lay at 5 in. to the weather?
13. What will be the approximate cost of a house 20 ft. X 30 ft. with an 8 ft. cellar and a half-pitch gable roof, at 12 cents per cubic foot?
15. Give a rule for finding the number of studs in a front if set 16 in. on centers. If set 12 in. on centers.
17. How much studding can two men set in one day? How much boarding? Shingles? Diagonal boarding?
18. (a) How many square yards of 2-coat plastering can a mason and helper put on in one day? (b) What will it cost?
19. (a) What will the newel of an ordinary staircase cost? (b) How much will the balusters of first run cost at two to a tread if the run is 8 risers high?
21. What will it cost to put on 1000 laths?
23. What will it cost to dig out a cellar 18 ft. X 30 ft.; 4 ft. below grade at one end and 6 ft. the other?
25. (a) What per cent of the cost of a house will usually go to the plumbing? (b) What portion of this will represent the labor?
28. (a) About how many cubic feet will one square foot of direct steam radiation heat, in the first story of a dwelling? (b) Direct hot water radiation?
29. What will be the area of a pyramidal roof 20 ft. square at the base and 15 ft. on the rafter line?
1. What is the usual method of making up an accurate estimate of the cost of a building?
2. What will it cost to plaster a hall 45 ft. by 70 ft., and 20 ft. high, with 8 windows 5 ft. by 9 ft., and two doors 8 ft. by 10 ft.?
4. What will be the cost of excavating and building the rough stone wall of a leaching cesspool, to finish 7 ft. 0 in. in diamater inside, and 8 ft. 0 in. deep, below ground, laid up of dry stone 1 ft. 0 in. thick, at $3.50 per perch, stone wall to be carried 5 ft. 0 in. high from bottom; excavation to be 1 ft. larger than cesspool all around, at 50 cents per cu. yd.?
5. (a) How many perches are there in the following amount of masonry?
(b) How much will it cost at $4.2o per perch?
6. What will be the cost of concreting a cellar 30 ft. by 40 ft. at 60 cents per sq. yd.?
7. What will it cost to finish the floors of a parlor, 16 ft. by 18 ft. and a dining room 14 ft. by 17 ft., at 30 cents per yard?
8. Why should a cellar be excavated larger than the outside of the foundation wall?
9. What will be the cost of 16 ft. of galvanized smokepipe at $0.09 per lb., pipe to weigh 2 1/2 lbs. per foot?
10. What will it cost to excavate a cellar 30 ft. by 40 ft., and 5 ft. deep, at 50 cents per cu. yd.?
12. What will be the cost of a stucco cornice for a room 12 ft. by 16 ft., at 25 cents per foot?
13. If furnace layout consists of five 7-in. pipes, three 9-in. pipes, and two 14-in. pipes, what should be the area of the cold-air box?
14. Give analysis of cost of a square of clapboarding, using clapboards at $50 per M.
15. (a) Show by analysis the approximate cost and method of figuring a piazza cornice.
(b) A rear door and frame.
16. Give analysis and approximate cost of a window complete, without hardware; sash 3 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 0 in.
17. Give analysis and approximate price, per square, of a shingled roof, using matched boards on 2 ft. 7 in. rafters.
18. (a) How many bricks, per foot of height, will be required in a chimney of two 8 by 12 in. flues, with 4-in. walls and withes?
(6) In a chimney with three 8 by 12-in. flues?
(c) In an ashpit, 12 in. by 3 ft. 8 in. inside measurement, with 4-in. back and front walls and 8-in. end walls? Make sketch plan of each, showing bricks.
19. (a) Give a reasonable cost for hardware of seven inside doors put on.
(6) Of fifteen windows with sash-fasts and lifts.
20. What is a fair price for building lattice under a piazza 9 ft. 0 in. by 36 ft. 0 in., showing 1 ft. 6 in. at one end and 3 ft. 6 in. at the other end, with a 6-foot flight of steps taken out at the center?