Among the various fittings provided for services in the Nave only the Pulpit calls for special remark. This Martyrs' Memorial, for such it is, though essentially modern in touch, will rank for beauty with anything the Cathedral possesses. St. Alban's martyrdom in the third Century, and that of St. Boniface (a Crediton man) in the eighth, are here associated with Bishop Patteson's in the nineteenth, in sculptured groups carved in Mansfield stone with a degree of skill and feeling that render the pulpit itself a 'sermon in stone.' The Cathedral Church of the Diocese from which Bishop Patteson went to his missionary labours could hardly more worthily preserve the memory of one of her most devoted sons.
From Choir, Nave, and Transepts we may turn finally to the Chapels. The restoration of the Lady Chapel, which includes the glazing of its windows, well exhibits the blending and maturing effect which only stained glass is able to impart. The lofty windows on the North and South are those which reproduce most faithfully the original glazing, being treated in careful acccordance with evidence that survives as to the relative proportion of grisaille to more] deeply coloured glass in the original fourteenth century windows. (See Note 67). The result produced is not only beautiful in effect, but also interesting in the testimony it bears to the artistic skill of the vitrarii of that period. It is evident that they were wont to subordinate the glass, with infinite judgment, to its setting and decorative effect, while giving it at the same time a strongly marked beauty of its own. The ample surfaces of delicately lined grisaille glass allow to the stone tracery its full effect, accentuate the richer colouring, and admit the required light for uniting with deeper tints to mellow the general interior. The result in miniature in the Lady Chapel enables us to imagine the surpassing beauty of the Choir of old when glass thus skilfully modulated occupied its windows throughout. A pavement of local stones and marbles, interrupted only where 'Petra tegit Petrum' - Quivil's burial-place in the midst of his work - replaces a plainer surface; while the deeply coloured roof above reproduces faithfully the original. The centre panel of the arcade that stretches across the East wall to form a Reredos contained remains of its original decoration sufficiently well preserved to furnish a guide for the frescoes that are now restored to the entire series. The various costly fittings introduced into the shrine thus prepared are worthy of their surroundings, and combine with the architectural features to render the Lady Chapel a singularly winning interior. The Chapels of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Gabriel, with the tombs of Stafford and Bronescombe, have each received a share of the renewal in detail which their intimate association with the Lady Chapel seemed to demand. Here, accordingly, the vaulted roofs have been richly coloured, in exact correspondence with original tints and patterns. The removal to more suitable situations of monuments which had been incongruously placed in these chapels brought to light two early Piscinas and cleared the ground for paving with tiles and marbles. One of the windows in St. Gabriel's Chapel, that on the South, is a skilful restoration of original glass: the East window, representing angel subjects, to harmonize with the dedication of the Chapel, is chiefly new. The Chapels of St. George and St. Saviour have received renewal of decoration in almost every detail. In that of St. George the doorway made through its Eastern wall in Puritan times for admission to the Choir when the latter was built off from the Nave, has been done away, wall and window restored, and commemorative glass inserted. In the remaining Chapels restoration has everywhere given back original surfaces, laid floors of tiles, and effaced the accumulated decays and mutilations of piscina, canopy, corbel, niche, and screen; while here and there, as in the Chapel of St. John Baptist, stained glass has been placed in the windows.
The Chapter House remains at present in statu quo, much encumbered by the book-shelves of the Cathedral Library. But a very important work is in progress in the rebuilding of the Cloisters, concurrently with which a Library is being provided which will set the Chapter House free. The site occupied by the former Cloisters can be very accurately traced. The great doorway in the South Aisle of the Nave gave direct admission to them from the Cathedral, from whence the Eastern side of the square passed in front of the Chapter House to a point determined by remains that were incorporated with buildings subsequently erected partly on their site. Thence turning westward to form the South side they extended to the roadway, near to which their South West doorway, not improbably the "Door near the Precentor's House" mentioned in the Fabric Rolls (1389 Oliver), exists entire and in good preservation. A quatrefoil at some twenty feet from the ground at the southern end of the West Front of the Cathedral apparently ranges with a fellow quatre-foil lately brought to light on the building used as Chapter Clerk's Office, marking the limits of the western elevation. Among many fragments recently exhumed is the socket of a cross which may be thought to have stood in the centre of the Quadrangle. The original Cloisters, it will be remembered, were not erected in one undertaking but in sections. The earliest portion, dating 1324 ("Vetus claustrum" Oliver p. 386) seems to have extended so far as to afford admission to the Chapter House. The ambulatory beneath the Cathedral buttresses was of Grandisson's date, while the remainder must have been carried out by Brantyngham and Stafford (c. 1380-1400). In due accordance with existing remains and with other evidence as to the date of the several portions the Architect for this work (J. L. Pearson, Esq.,) has designed a restoration which it cannot be doubted will substantially reproduce the Cloisteis swept away in the seventeenth Century. And over the portion which extends from the Chapter House to the South Eastern angle, and thence to the Western limit, will be carried the Library; thus approximately replacing the original Library, erected about the year 1412, which "adjoined the Cloister." (Oliver p. 388).