{Contributed by H. S. East, A.R.I.B.A.)

The Specification as hereunder printed does not pretend in any way to be a model one, but a careful perusal of it will probably show more clearly than any other way the wide differences in the practical carrying out of work in South Africa and in any other country. It covers the usual local conditions, clauses, and methods of construction generally in use in Cape Colony for a house of the ordinary type.

Specification of Work required to be done in the erection of a vllla residence, cape town, South Africa.

Dimensions And Details

Detail drawings are to be followed in preference to the small scale drawings, and figured dimensions to those obtained by scaling.

Tenders

The proprietor does not bind himself to accept the lowest or any tender.

Time

Builders when tendering must state the time within which they will undertake to complete the work under penalty.

Materials

The builder is to provide all materials and plant that may be required for the due and proper completion of the work, whether the same is particularly described in this Specification or shown on the drawings or not, provided that they are to be reasonably inferred therefrom, and in case of any discrepancy between the Plans and Specification the Architects shall decide which is to be followed.

Safety Of Work

The whole work from the beginning to the completion is to be in the Contractor's charge, and he shall be responsible for damage to same from any cause whatever. The Contractor is to insure the building against fire from time to time for its full value, as the Architects may decide. The Contractor, however, is to see that the value of his work is fully covered at all times, and will have no claims against the Proprietor should fire occur.

Local Regulations

The Contractor is to conform to all local regulations, give all notices and pay all fees, including . to be paid to the Architects for preparing and submitting special copies of the plans to the municipality.

Alterations In Plans

The Proprietor shall have the right of increasing, decreasing, or altering the amount of work to be done as he shall think fit at any time, and should such alteration include a class of work not comprised in the Contractor's shedule of prices, the same shall be paid for at the Architect's valuation.

Setting Out

The Contractor shall be held responsible for the correct setting out of the work, and if errors occur they must be rectified as required by the Architects.

Sub-Contractors

No portion of the work is to be sublet without the approval of the Architects.

Payments

Payments will be made monthly at the rate of 80 per cent. of the value of the work done as per Architects' certificates. The remaining 20 per cent. will be paid in two instalments of 10 per cent., the first one month and the second three months after completion, provided that the work is in good order and to the Architects' satisfaction.

Surety

If required the Contractor whose tender is accepted must find at any time an approved security for the due fulfilment of his contract.

Provisional Amounts

It is to be understood that any provisional amounts named herein for goods or fittings to be supplied by the Builder are to be the values of such goods after deducting all trade and other discounts. The Builder is to add his profits when estimating.

Extras Or Omissions

A priced schedule is to be supplied to Architects by Builder before contract is signed, and such schedule will form the basis for adjustment of all claims for extras or omissions to or from the work comprised in the present scheme, fair allowance being made for fluctuations in the local market values of labour and materials as the Architects may decide. The Builder is to pay Architects the usual commission of 2 1/2 per cent. for the measurement and valuation of all works extras to or omitted from the contract, such commission to be charged by him in his final statement of account as usual.

Water

Water provided for the completion of this work is to be provided by the Builder at his own cost. For pipes and fittings to service see " Plumber," with whom arrangements must be made about temporary standpipes.

The Contractor is to provide the necessary sanitary convenience for workmen, keep same in proper sanitary condition, and remove at completion. The Contractor is to clean up and remove all surplus earth (or spread same on site as directed), rubbish, etc., as it accumulates, and on completion to scour all floors, etc., clean all glass on both sides, and leave the whole of the premises clean and fit for immediate occupation.

A competent Foreman is to be always on the works during their entire progress, and is not to be changed or removed without the consent of the Architects.

Contingencies

Allow the sum of for contingencies, to be deducted at completion in whole or part if not used.