Battle at Wytheville, Va. - Fought July 20, 1863, between Union cavalry under Colonel Tolland, of the 34th Ohio mounted infantry, and a Confederate force; it resulted, after a severe conflict, in the defeat of the Confederates, the burning of the town, the seizure of 3 cannon, 700 stand of arms and 120 prisoners. The Confederates also lost 75 men killed and many wounded. The Unionists lost 65 killed and wounded, including among the former Colonel Tolland.

Bombardment of Chattanooga, Tenn.

- July 22, 1863, Colonel Wilder, of Rosecrans' army, shelled Chattanooga, creating considerable agitation among its Confederate occupants, but without definite results.

Recapture in Louisiana - July 22, 1863, the Union gunboat Sachem recaptured Brashear city from the Confederates

Battle Near Manassas Gap, Va. -

Fought July 23, 1863, between 800 Unionists, under General Spinola, and about twice as many Confederate troops from Georgia and North Carolina. The latter were utterly routed.

Battle In the Southwest - Fought July 23, 1863, between Kit Carson's Union 1st New Mexico regiment and a party of Navajos, near Fort Canby. The Indians were defeated.

Kentucky Invaded - The Confederates re-invaded Kentucky, July 23, 1863. July 31, 1863, the Unionists in that State, commanded by Colonel Sanders, completely routed the Confederate forces under Scott and Pegram, and martial law was declared.

Battle at Culpeper, Va. - Fought August 2, 1863, between Union cavalry under Buford, and Confederate cavalry under Stuart. The battle was indecisive, but 100 prisoners were taken by the Unionists.

Battle of Grenada, Miss. - Fought 17th of August, 1863, between a Union expedition sent out by General Hurlbut, under Lieutenant - Colonel Phillips, of the 9th Illinois mounted infantry, and a Confederate force of 2,000 men under General Slimmer, who occupied Grenada. The Confederates were so hardly pressed by the attacking party that they fled in confusion, leaving behind an immense quantity of ordnance and stores. These, with the depot, the machine-shop, the railroad track, 57 locomotives, and more than 400 cars, were destroyed by the Unionists.

The War In Arkansas - August 22, 1863, the Union force under General Blunt, numbering 4,500, attacked 11,000 Confederates under General Cooper, in the Indian Territory, and compelled the latter to retreat to Red river. On the same day, Union cavalry under Colonel Woodson, successfully attacked numerous Confederate guer-rilla bands in Arkansas, capturing the Confederate general, Jeff. Thompson, with his entire staff. On the 29th of July, 1863, the Confederate army under General Price, then in Arkansas, was severely pressed by the Union forces under General Steele. The same day, Steele's advance, under General Davidson, drove 3,000 Confederates, under Marma-duke, out of Brownsville and across the Arkansas river. September 1, 1863, General Blunt defeated the Confederates under Cooper and Cabell, and captured Fort Smith, Ark. The same day the Confederates evacuated Little Rock, and General Steele occupied it September 10, 1863.

Quantrell's Raid - A force of Confederate guerrillas, numbering 350, collected in Cass county, Mo., under the leadership of Quantrell. In the dead of night, August 25, 1863, they unexpectedly attacked the town of Lawrence, in Kansas, set it on fire, burned 182 buildings to the ground, destroying $2,000,000 of property; killed 115 persons, including helpless women and children, and wounded 591 citizens, many of them mortally. Soon afterwards, the guerrillas having departed, the citizens organized a force, commanded by General James H. Lane, and pursued the marauders to Grand River, Mo. There, when attacked, the murderers dispersed in various directions, but about 80 of them were slain.

Occupation of Knoxville, Tenn. - The

Confederate General Buckner, evacuated Knox-ville, leaving behind a considerable quantity of quartermaster's stores, with other valuable property, and General Burnside, with his Union force, occupied the place September 3, 1863, to the delight of the inhabitants.

Battle at Sabine City, Texas - Fought September 8, 1863, between the Confederate force occupying the fortifications of the town and the 19th Union army corps under General Franklin, with 4 Union gunboats. The fight was quite severe, but resulted in the repulse of the Unionists and the loss of 2 of their gunboats.

Affairs at Chattanooga, Tenn. - After the battle of Stone river, at the beginning of 1863, the Confederate army under Bragg occupied

Chattanooga. September 8, 1863, when Rosecrans and his Union array approached, the Confederates abandoned the place, and, on the 9th, Crittenden's division of the Union array occupied it. Bragg's army having been reinforced by Longstreet, managed to drive the Unionists out of Chatta-nooga, while Rosecrans attempted to force the Confederates from their threatening position in that vicinity. The result was the battle of Chickamauga.

Affairs at Cumberland Gap, Tenn. - This narrow pass, which separates Kentucky from Tennessee, and became an important point during the civil war, was occupied early in the contest by the Confederates, then by the Unionists, and again by the Confederates. September 9, 1863, General Burnside's Union army recaptured it, with 2,000 prisoners and 14 cannon, from General Frazer.

Battle of Chickamauga, Tenn. - Fought September 19 and 20, 1863, between about 50,000 Confederates, under Bragg, who began the contest, and about 55,000 Union soldiers, besides cavalry, under Rosecrans. The cavalry and about 10,000 of Bragg's infantry were not, however, long in the action. At the close of the first day both armies occupied nearly the same position that they did in the morning. The battle occupied the whole of both days, and resulted in defeat and the retreat of the Unionists to Chattanooga. The Union loss was 1,644 killed, 9,262 wounded, and 4,945 prisoners. The Confederate loss is estimated at not far from 18,000 men.

A Cavalry Defeat - Confederate cavalry, under Wheeler, which had come north of the Tennessee river for the purpose of operating against Rosecrans' Union army, encountered Union forces October 9, 1863, at Farmington, Tenn., and near Shelby ville, Ky., and was defeated, with considerable loss, at both points.

Battle of Missionary Ridge, Tenn. -

General Thomas, who succeeded Rosecrans in command of the Union army, was practically besieged by the Confederates at Chattanooga. A battle was fought November 24. 25 and 26, 1863, at this point, between about 80,000 Unionists, under Grant, who had partially raised the siege and reinforced the garrison, and about 50,000 Confederates under Bragg. The latter's army occupied strong positions above Chattanooga, on Lookout mountain at the south and Missionary ridge on the east. Hooker, with 10.000 Unionists, went to Lookout mountain to assail the Confederate left. Sherman, Sheridan, and other Union commanders, with -their several divisions, stormed and carried the Confederate redoubts, as did Hooker those on Lookout mountain. The Confederates fled from a galling fire from their own cannon, and were vigorously pursued. The Union losses were 757 killed, 4,529 wounded, and 330 missing. The Confederate loss in killed and wounded did not, probably, exceed 4,000; but they lost 6,142 prisoners, 40 cannon, and 7,000 stand of small arms. This battle ended the war in Tennessee for a year.

The Storming of Knoxville, Tenn. - Under instructions from superior officers, General Burnside prepared for a vigorous defense of Knoxville. The second division of the 23rd army corps under General Julius White, and other troops, was to co-operate with Burnside. November 14, 1863, a tight occurred in the vicinity between General White's command and Confederates on Huff's hill, in which the Confederates were dislodged with considerable loss on both sides. November 16, another severe fight occurred near Knoxville, between the 23rd and 9th Army corps, with artillery, and a Confederate force at Campbell's station, but the Unionists were obliged to retreat, which they did in good order, although hotly pursued. On the 17th a close siege of Knox-ville began, which terminated, November 28, in an attempt of the Confederates to carry the fortifications by storm, commanded by General Long-street. The assault, however, was repulsed with so much vigor, that, in connection with the defeat of Bragg at Missionary Ridge, the Confederates deemed it advisable to raise the siege. Longstreet, therefore, retreated, followed by Burnside's forces, while another army, under Foster, started from Cumberland Gap to cut off their retreat. The number of Unionists engaged in this siege was about 12,000; their loss was less than 50; the loss of the attacking party was about 500.