This section is from the book "Arts & Crafts Magazine Vol1-2", by Hutchinson & Company.
The death of Mr. Le Jeune, A.R.A., recalls the beginning of our State Schools of Design, for he was one of the staff of the first of them. The Government School of Design in Ornamental Art, it was called. It was opened in June, 1837, under a Council appointed by the Board of Trade, which included among its members A. W. Calcott, R.A„ Sir Francis Chantrey. R.A., and C. L. Eastlake, R.A. The first director was J. B. Papworth, whose staff included: Lambalette, head master; Spratt, assistant-master; James Leigh, modeller; Papworth, jun., secretary and librarian. Le Jeune was appointed (in 1841) "Master of the morning classes for drawing and painting," and Alfred Stevens was one of his colleagues
Study in Oil. By Charles Sprague Pearce.