IT is an agreeable surprise to find that our Arts & Crafts medal offered, in competition, for the best set of photographs of wood carvings taken in any church in Great Britain has to be awarded, not for old work, as might naturally have been anticipated, but for work bearing no later date than 1898. This is the year of the execution of Messrs. Ratte & Kette's beautiful oak pulpit in Southwell Minster, which Mr. A. J. Loughton selected as the subject for his camera, and it must be admitted that he has chosen well. The church itself is one of the oldest in England, and, with its venerable associations, seems to be a worthy recipient for Miss Gordon's handsome gift. The rich Gothic design of Bodley is in his best manner, and the whole work seems to have been carried out with a nice sense of fitness. The carving itself is marked by breadth and simplicity. There are five carved figures. We have contented ourselves with the reproduction of four of them. The missing effigy is that of King Edwin, who, tradition asserts, accompanied Paulinus, the reputed founder of the church (a.d. 630), when he baptized the