1. Required the twisting moment on a shaft that transmits 30 horse-power at 120 revolutions per minute.
2. Find the diameter of a steel shaft designed to transmit 50 horse-power at 150 revolutions per minute.
3. Assuming same data as in Problem 1, find the diameters of a hollow shaft for a value of S = 8,000.
4. A belt on an idler pulley embraces an angle of 120 degrees. Assuming tension of belt 1,000 pounds on each side, and pulley located midway between bearings, which are 30 inches from center to center, what is the diameter of shaft required ?
5. Calculate the diameter of a steel shaft designed to transmit a twisting moment of 400,000 inch-pounds and also to take a bending moment of 300,000 inch-pounds.
6. Find the angular deflection in a 4-inch shaft 20 feet long when subjected to a load of 5,500 pounds applied to an arm of 30-inch radius. Assume transverse modulus of elasticity equal to 12,000,000.
7. The overhung crank of a steam engine has a force of 32,000 lbs. at the center of the crank pin, which is 12 inches from the center of the shaft bearing, measured parallel to the shaft. The radius of crank-arm is 10 inches. Assume S equal to 10,000. Calculate the diameter of the crank shaft.
8. On a short, vertical steel shaft the load is 5,000 pounds. A gear, 36 teeth, 1½ diametral pitch, at top of shaft, transmits a load of 4,000 pouuds at the pitch line. Safe shear = 7,500. What is the diameter of the shaft ?