This section is from the book "School Needlework. A Course of Study in Sewing designed for use in Schools", by Olive C. Hapgood. Also available from Amazon: School Needlework: A Course Of Study In Sewing Designed For Use In Schools.
1. Hold the cloth firmly with the hands as in Fig. 11.
2. Beginning at the upper right-hand end of the cloth, turn down towards you the edge one-fourth of an inch in depth, for three or four inches.
3. Holding the cloth tightly between the hands, crease the edge with the end of the thumb-nail and the cushion of the left forefinger, until it will remain flat and has a sharp edge.
4. Fold and crease the next three inches in the same manner, and so continue to the end.
5. Holding the right-hand corner of the fold firmly, crease the entire length.