This section is from the book "School Needlework. A Course of Study in Sewing designed for use in Schools", by Olive C. Hapgood. Also available from Amazon: School Needlework: A Course Of Study In Sewing Designed For Use In Schools.
2. To fold the work, smooth it out, fold it lengthwise and narrow enough to go into the bag; then fold it the opposite way.
3. Put the thimble into the bag first, as it is apt to be forgotten.
4. After all the articles are placed in the bag, draw it up closely.
5. Wind the tape tightly around the bag until about six inches of it are left.
6. Place two fingers of the left hand over the coil of tape, and wind once over the fingers and around the bag.
7. As the fingers are withdrawn, slip the end of the tape through, and draw tightly.
If the above directions are carefully observed, no girl should report any missing article at the next lesson.