This section is from the book "School Needlework. A Course of Study in Sewing designed for use in Schools", by Olive C. Hapgood. Also available from Amazon: School Needlework: A Course Of Study In Sewing Designed For Use In Schools.
A needle and a thimble.
1. Place the thimble on the second finger of the right hand.
2. Hold the pointed end of the needle between the end of the thumb and forefinger of the right hand.
3. Place the thimble on the eye of the needle.
4. Push the needle between the thumb and forefinger, being careful not to cramp the other fingers.
5. With the left hand push the point back into its former position.
6. Repeat until it can be done easily.