This section is from the book "School Needlework. A Course of Study in Sewing designed for use in Schools", by Olive C. Hapgood. Also available from Amazon: School Needlework: A Course Of Study In Sewing Designed For Use In Schools.
1. Fold the lengthwise edges of another breadth together.
2. Hold the selvedges towards you.
3. Make a dot at the right-hand side, sixteen and one-half inches from the selvedges; mark it A.
4. Make a dot four inches to the left of A, and parallel with A; mark it B.
5. Make a dot at the left-hand side, thirteen and one-half inches from the selvedges; mark it C.
6. Cut straight from A to B.
1 This may be cut from paper if desired.
7. Fold the cloth from B to C, and cut on the fold.