279. If a girl meets a team of white horses and then names ten different colors of ties, the last color she sees will be the one on the man that she is going to marry.
280. Count one hundred white horses. The first man you see thereafter with a red necktie you will marry.
281. Count one hundred gray horses; you will marry on the day you count the last one.
282. If you count one hundred white horses, you will marry before the year is out.
283. Stamp ten white horses; then the first man you see with a red necktie on is the man you will marry.
284. After you have counted forty gray horses, the next man you meet with a red necktie will be your life mate.
285. After you have counted a hundred grey horses, name a color; the first man you meet wearing a tie of the same color will be your future husband.
286. Count one hundred white horses and one white mule.
The next man you meet will be your life partner.
287. Count ninety-nine horses and a white mule; the first person you shake hands with thereafter you will marry.
288. When you are counting a hundred gray horses, one gray mule will be equivalent to ten of that number.
289. If the first corn silk that you see in any season is red, you will soon attend a wedding. (Cf. the sign that if the first corn silk is white you will go to a funeral.)
290. If the first butterfly of the season is a white one, you will go to a wedding before the season is over. .. . ............................Central Kentucky
291. If you wear a yellow flower, you are jealous.
292. If you shake hands across the communion table, you will marry.........................Mountains
293. If you find an even number of grains on an ear of corn, you will marry once and have a happy marriage.
294. If you find an odd number of grains on an ear of corn, you will marry twice, both times unhappily,
295. Cut seven initials on the ground, put a grain of corn into every one, and turn a hen loose. The one she picks up first shows whom you will marry.
296. If your cornbread is rough, your husband's face will be rough.
297. If you cross a street corner diagonally, you will not be married this year.
298. If you have two crowns, you will cross the water and marry twice.
299. A curly-headed individual can get anybody he wants..................................Mountains
300. Pluck the petals from a daisy, repeating as you do so: "He loves me, loves me not." The words on which the last petal is plucked reveal the fortune.
301. It is lucky to receive a proposal at a dance and refuse it..........................Western Kentucky
302. Blow a dandelion ball. The number of seeds left indicates the number of children you will have.
303. Blow a dandelion ball. If you drive away all of the seeds in one exhalation, you will be married.
304. The number of seeds left on a dandelion ball when you have blown it once will be the number of years before you are married.
305. If in early spring, a young woman will sit on the ground, reach behind her, and pick up a handful of dirt, she will find in it a hair the color of her future husband's.
306. If you drop your dish cloth, your sweetheart is coming.
307. If a girl allows dish-water to come to the boiling point, she will not marry that year.
308. If a dog follows you, encourage him, as he will bring you a handsome husband.....Western Kentucky
309. If you go in one door and out another, you will catch a new sweetheart.............Central Kentucky
310. The direction of the first turtle-dove which you hear in the spring is the direction of your sweetheart... ..................................Mountains
311. If when you hear the first turtle-dove of the season you turn around three times on your heel and then look into the heel of your stocking, you will find a hair the color of your future mate's.... Mountains
312. If you are the first to sleep under a new quilt, the hero or heroine of your dream will be your partner in matrimony...............Southern Kentucky
313. If you dream of a coffin, you will marry rich but die soon after.
314. If you dream that you cry, you will be married within a year.
315. To dream of dates is a sign that you will break your betrothal.
316. A dream of death is a sign of a wedding.
317. If with the dream bone of a hog under your pillow you dream of a person of the opposite sex, you will marry him.
318. To dream of a horse is a sign that you are loved by one person alone....................Mountains
319. If you dream that you kiss somebody, you will be disappointed in love.
320. If you dream that a log (or a plank) falls out of your house, you will lose your married partner. If you dream that some one puts or helps put it back, you will marry that person...............Mountains
321. If a girl dreams in church that she nods towards the minister, she will marry a young parson.....................................Western Kentucky
322. To dream of money is a sign of marriage.
323. If a girl dreams that she eats a pickle, an old bachelor will kiss her.................Western Kentucky
324. If a young man dreams that he eats a pickle, he will be beloved by a woman older than he is and of a sour temper.................Western Kentucky
325. If you dream of old shoes, someone will take your sweetheart away from you............Mountains
326. If you dream of a wedding, you will never marry.
327. If you get the front of your dress wet while washing your clothes, your husband will be a drunkard.
328. If your dress is turned up on the right side, your sweetheart loves you.................Mountains
329. If your dress is turned up on the left side, your beloved dislikes you....................Mountains
330. If you swallow a wild duck's heart, you will get the person that you desire.