136. What curious style of root has the screw-pine?
137. Describe the adventitious roots of the banyan.
138. Describe the curious habit of the mangrove tree.
139. How may the growth of adventitious roots be favored?
140. Mention a method of raising dwarf trees.
141. Axial and inaxial - which requires deep tillage?
If two crops are sown together - what should they be?
143. What is the nature of those plants called Epiphytes?
144. What are Parasites? Give examples of these classes.
145. Read the paragraph on subterranean stems.
What is the title of this chapter? Define this phrase.
147. What is the general idea of the term "axis?"
148. Does the ascending axis always continue to grow erect?
What is the idea of the procumbent stem? Of the decumbent? What the idea of the ascending stem? Of the subterranean? ] 49. How may this last be distinguished from roots?
150. Explain the development of the simple stem.
Where may the original plumule bud be always found?
151. Explain the development of a branching stem.
If the axillary buds grow, what do they then become?
153. Is there any apparent plan in the arrangement of the branches? Please define the alternate arrangement. The opposite. Define the verticillate. Give examples of each mode.
154. What varieties in the " angle of divergence " in branches? What is noticeable in the beech? The oak? elm?
155. What are some of the distinctions made by nurserymen?
156. What is a Sucker? A Stolon, or Layer? A Cion?
158. How are the grape-vine and hop propagated?
159. Define an Offset. Define the Runner.
161. What is a Node? An Internode?
162. Why does the stem diminish upwards?
163. Can you describe the process of the growth of the stem?
164. State briefly, one great exception to this rule.
166. Give the precise definition to the "leaf-stem."
167. Give the precise definition of the "scale-stem." 166. Name the five principal forms of the leaf-stems. 167. Name the six principal forms of the scale-stems.
168. Distinguish between the herbaceous and woody leaf-stems.
169. What is the caulis? Define caulescent. Acaulescent.
170. What is the culm? What stems are called trunks?
172. What forms of trunk have you noticed?
173. Distinguish the " excurrent" from the " solvent" axis. Instance some examples of each.
176. What term is applicable to the stem of the palm tree?
177. Describe the singular stock of the Cactus tribe.
178. Describe the vine and its two varieties.
Which is furnished with tendrils, the climbers or twiners?
179. What is the law in regard to the course of the twiners?
181. How is the creeper defined? Its two classes please mention. How is the witch grass best cultivated?
182. What can be said of the utility of such repent stems? What prevents our sandy or clayey hills from washing?
183. What is the proper description of the root-stock?
184. Show, by figure 52, the manner of its growth.
185. Describe the premorse root-stock.
186. The stem of clover, asparagus, etc., in winter, is what?
187. What is a tuber? Show by fig. 54, etc., how it grows. 189. What is a corm? Show how it grows.
191. Describe the bulb. Show, by fig. 60, how it multiplies. 193. Varieties in bulbs - describe some.
Finally, notice the gradation in tuber, corm, and bulb.
What is the topic of this chapter?
195. What two kinds of buds are mentioned?
196. Repeat the definition of the leaf-bud.
197. What is the nature of the scales? Show this by figs. 67, 68,
198. Where are bud-scales needed and found?
199. How are the buds protected in rain or cold?
200. Which is the parent bud? What the axillary bud?
202. Distinguish the two kinds of axillary buds.
203. When may the axillary become terminal?
204. What if a part of them be suppressed? What if all?
205. When is the axis said to be brachiate? How in the pink? (Fig. 70.) 207. What are adventitious buds? How are they caused?
209. Vernation is what? Best method of displaying it?
213. Considering each leaf alone, when is it said to be reclined? When conduplicate? Plaited? Circinate?
214. Considering the leaves in respect to each other, when are they obvolute? When triquetrous? Equitant?
215. State the principle of " budding." What are bulblets?
What is the subject of this chapter?
217. How does the leaf figure in landscape scenery?
218. What is the general characteristic of the leaf?
219. What variations in the color of the leaf?
220. What is the etymology of the word Phyllotaxy?
221. Explain " leaves radical." Leaves cauline. Leaves ramial.
222. What is the alternate arrangement of leaves? Scattered? Rosulate? Fasciculate? Opposite? Verticillate?
223. If you reduce all these to two types, what are the two?
224. What experiment reveals the true nature of the alternate type?
226. Can you show that the opposite leaved type may be spiral?
227. Decussate leaves - what are they?
228. State an established law in plant-development
229. Will you carefully define the elm cycle?
230. Calling this the 1/2 cycle, what does the numerator denote? What the denominator?
231. How is the alder cycle?
Calling this the 1/3 cycle, what does the 1 denote? The 3?
232. Describe the cherry cycle. Why call this the § cycle?
233. Describe the Osage orange cycle. Why denominate this the 3/8 cycle?
234. Show how these cycles are related to each other.
If the third is 2/5 and the fourth 3/8, what will the fifth be?