(42) Corydalis - upper petal spurred at the base; pod twovalved, many-seeded.
* Sepals united into a cylindrical tube; stamens united below into a tube.
† Calyx with two to four scaly bracts at the base, or sometimes covered by them.
(45) Dianthus - calyx five-toothed; petals five, clawed; styles two; capsule one-celled, many-seeded, opening at the top with four valves.
† † Calyx without scales at the base.
(46) Silene - calyx five-toothed; petals five, clawed; styles three; capsule more or less completely three-celled, opening at the top with six valves.
(47) Lychnis - calyx five-toothed; petals five, clawed; styles five; capsule one- or half five-celled, opening at the top with five or ten teeth.
** Sepals distinct or only cohering at the base; stamens free. † Valves of the capsule equalling the styles.
(Is) Sagina - sepals four or five, spreading when in fruit; petals four or five or none; stamens four or five or twice as many; styles four or five; capsules four- or five-valved, many-seeded.
(49) Alsine - sepals five or four; petals five or four, entire or slightly emarginate; styles three; capsules opening witli three valves.
†† Valves or teeth of the capsule twice as many as the styles.
(50) Arenaria - sepals five; petals five, entire or slightly emargiuate; styles two or three; capsule opening with four to six valves.
(51) Stellaria - sepals five; petals five, bifid; styles three; capsule opening with six valves or teeth, many-seeded.
(52) Malachium - sepals five; petals five, bifid or entire; styles five; capsules opening with five bifid, not deeply-cleft, valves.
* Capsule one-celled, many-seeded.
(53) Spergula - sepals and petals five, entire; stamens ten or five: styles five; capsule five-valved; leaves apparently whorled.
(54) Spergularia - sepals five, flattish; petals five, entire; stamens ten, sometimes only five; styles usually three; capsule three- to five-valved; leaves opposite.
(55) Polycarpon - sepals keeled on the back, hooded at the end; petals five, minute, emarginate; stamens three to five; styles three; capsule three-valved.
** Capsule one-seeded.
(56) Corrigiola - petals five, oblong, equalling the sepals; stamens five; stigmas three, sessile.
(57) Illecebrum - sepals thickened, horned at the back; petals five subulate, or wanting; stamens five; stigmas two.