Substitute cucumber for tomato in above.
Improved-Flavor with onion, chives, parsley, fresh thyme or tarragon, or combinations of same and spread on bread or crackers.
Slice fine, let stand in ice water 1/2 hour or more, changing water 2 or 3 times. Drain and dry in clean towel and place with parsley leaves between slices of bread spread with mayonnaise dressing, or nut or dairy butter or salted oil.
Grated raw carrot and fine sliced celery or onion, French or mayonnaise dressing.
Place blossoms in bottom of tureen, lay on loaf of bread from which the crusts have been trimmed and cover with blossoms. Cover and set in cool place for 12 hours or longer. Wrap butter in cheese cloth and put into another dish the same way. These sandwiches are simply bread and butter. Mignonnette, violets, nasturtiums, rose leaves or any highly scented flowers or leaves may be used.
Lay together three slices of buttered white bread and two of graham or rye, alternating. Set in cold place with gentle pressure for an hour or more. Slice to serve.
- Spread crackers or thin universal biscuit with butter and honey. English walnuts, raisins, sugar, white of egg, vanilla; put between crackers and heat in oven. Brazil nuts, pecans or almonds, with figs or dates.
- Equal quantities chopped dates and raisins; grape juice to moisten.
- Almond butter, sugar or not, vanilla, ground or fine sliced citron.
- Boston brown bread, raisins or dates, English walnuts or pecans, cocoanut cream or Brazil nut butter, or no butter.
- Rolled - Plain or scented bread and butter.
- Figs steamed, ground, cream and vanilla.
- Roll buttered bread from corner over slender stalks of crisp celery. The small inside stalks are preferable. Turn the leaf ends of the stalks so that they will show at each end of the roll. A lengthwise strip of cucumber may be substituted for the celery, and parsley used for garnish.