This section is from the book "The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V24", by Thomas Meehan. See also: Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long.
We have briefly noted this novelty in our last year's volume. It seems to be an introduction of more than ordinary value, on account of the great demand for first-class winter-blooming flowers. We give the following representation of it, together with a sketch of its history with which we have been favored by Messrs. J. Veitch & Son, of Chelsea, London, through whose enterprise it was first introduced to public notice :
"A beautiful Jasmine, collected for us in Borneo by Mr. Burbidge.
"The following is Sir J. D. Hooker's description of the plant in the Gardeners' Chronicle for January 1st, 1881:
"'A very near ally of the well-known Jasminum pubescens of India and China, the type around which are to be arranged a good many closely-allied species, differing in habit, in the size and number of flowers, and of the divisions of the corolla, all of them natives of Eastern Asia and its islands.'
'"Of these Jasminum gracillimum is one of the most distinct in its graceful habit, and in the abundance of its large sweet-scented flowers, which are also more copiously produced, in which respect I know of none to compare with it. It appears to be a small species, with long, very slender branches springing from low down on the stem, and curving over on all sides, weighed down by terminal globose panicles as large as the fist.'
" We may add, that as a decorative plant for the stove and warm conservatory, Jasminum gracillimum is probably the best of recent introduction. It is exceedingly floriferous ; a flowering shoot is produced from every joint, which terminates in a dense cluster of pure white fragrant flowers. The plant is continuously in bloom from October to January, and its graceful habit renders it one of the most beautiful of flowering plants for table decoration at that season".
"It received the award of a first-class certificate from the Royal Horticultural Society, December 14th, 1880.