Franklin, the name of counties in 22 of the United States. I. A W. county of Maine, bordering on Canada, and drained by Dead and Sandy rivers, branches of the Kennebec; area, 1,600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 35,866. It has no navigable streams, but there are several mill creeks and small ponds. The Androscoggin railroad terminates at Farmington. The surface is undulating, with a few mountainous elevations, the chief of which are Mt. Blue, Mt. Abraham, and Saddleback. The chief productions in 1870 were 25,407 bushels of wheat, 64,267 of Indian corn, 151,032 of oats, 325,513 of potatoes, 71,211 tons of hay, 101,007 lbs. of cheese, 562,470 of butter, and 267,369 of wool. There were 4,096 horses, 7,108 milch cows, 13,901 other cattle, 57,093 sheep, and 1,604 swine; 5 manufactories of agricultural implements, 6 of boots and shoes, 3 of boxes, 30 of carriages and wagons, 3 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 1 of shoe pegs, 4 of wood turned and carved, 1 of woollen goods, 12 saw mills, 5 tanneries, and 4 currying establishments.
II. A N. W. county of Vermont, bordering on Canada and Lake Champlain, and drained by Missisque and Lamoille rivers; area, 630 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,291. The surface is irregular, and the soil fertile. There are marble quarries and iron mines. The commerce of the county is carried on through Lake Champlain, which is navigable here for vessels of 90 tons, and over the Vermont Central railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 49,431 bushels of wheat, 116,826 of Indian corn, 308,587 of oats, 335,-122 of potatoes, 104,075 tons of hay, 510,226 lbs. of cheese, 2,984,520 of butter, 92,178 of wool, and 830,344 of maple sugar. There were 6,025 horses, 27,624 milch cows, 12,012 other cattle, 20,054 sheep, and 4,564 swine; 19 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 3 of agricultural implements, 1 of cars, 5 of cheese, 1 of confectionery, 4 of barrels and casks, 2 of drugs and chemicals, 1 of iron castings, 3 of lime, 1 of engines and boilers, 11 of saddlery and harness, 6 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 11 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 5 of woollen goods, 16 tanneries, 15 currying establishments, 14 saw mills, and 3 flour mills.
Capital, St. Albans.
III. A N. W. county of Massachusetts, bordering on Vermont and New Hampshire, intersected by the Connecticut and drained by Miller's and Deer-field rivers; area about 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,635. The surface is hilly and in some places mountainous, and the soil is good. The principal channels of transportation are the Connecticut River railroad, the Vermont and Massachusetts, the New London Northern, the Rutland division of the Vermont Central, and the Troy and Greenfield railroads. The Connecticut river has been made navigable here for boats. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,686 bushels of wheat, 23,327 of rye, 159,538 of Indian corn, 76,553 of oats, 8,980 of barley, 221,633 of potatoes, 63,456 tons of hay, 996,543 lbs. of butter, 70,882 of wool, 2,473,-265 of tobacco, and 137,253 of maple sugar. There were 4,245 horses, 8,779 milch cows, 14,850 other cattle, 15,959 sheep, and 3,652 swine; 20 flour and 46 saw mills, 7 tanneries, 4 currying establishments, 6 manufactories of agricultural implements, 2 of bricks, 2 of children's carriages and sleds, 12 of wagons, 4 of cotton goods, 2 of cutlery, 13 of furniture, 5 of hardware, 4 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 1 of pianos, 1 of printing paper, 7 of pocketbooks, 1 of sewing machines, 8 of wooden ware, and 3 of woollen goods.
IV. A N. E. county of New York, bordering on Canada, drained by Sara-nac, Chateaugay, St. Regis, and Raquette rivers; area, 1,764 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,271. The St. Lawrence touches its N. TV. corner. It has an uneven surface, diversified by a great number of small lakes. The S. E. portion is occupied by the Adirondack mountains, the highest peak of which in this county is Mt. Seward, which, according to the survey of 1872, is 4,402 ft. high. Bog iron is found in considerable quantities. Much of the soil consists of rich sandy loam. The Ogdensburgh and Lake Champlain railroad passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 85,049 bushels of wheat, 20,249 of rye, 69,005 of Indian corn, 362,540 of oats, 15,521 of barley, 47,548 of buckwheat, 1,068,083 of potatoes, 66,383 tons of hay, 1,628,045 lbs. of butter, 106,270 of wool, 351,580 of maple sugar, 41,100 of flax, and 753,408 of hops. There were 6,816 horses, 17,138 milch cows, 10,514 other cattle, 25,130 sheep, and 4,625 swine; 3 manufactories of pot and pearl ashes, 4 of boots and shoes, 22 of carriages and wagons, 18 of clothing, 2 of stoves, etc, 1 of engines and boilers, 12 of saddlery and harness, 30 of starch, 3 of woollen goods, 5 planing and 37 saw mills, 9 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, and 12 flour mills.
V. A S. county of Pennsylvania, bordering on Maryland, bounded E. by South mountain, N. W. by Tuscarora or Cove mountain, and drained by several creeks; area, 740 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 45,365. Most of it consists of a rich limestone valley, well watered, and abounding in slate, marble, and iron. In the N. part rises Parnells Knob, a lofty peak forming the S. W. termination of the Kittatinny range. The county is traversed by the Cumberland Valley railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were888,727 bushels of wheat, 47,047 of rye, 948,618 of Indian corn, 731,911 of oats, 146,-735 of potatoes, 55,439 tons of hay, and 900,-710 lbs. of butter. There were 11,278 horses, 10,503 milch cows, 13,704 other cattle, 9,031 sheep, and 28,577 swine; 11 manufactories of agricultural implements, 41 of carriages and wagons, 12 of clothing, 19 of barrels and casks, 18 of furniture, 12 of iron and iron castings, 4 of engines and boilers, 3 of printing paper, 23 of saddlery and harness, 5 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 19 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 6 of woollen goods, 53 flour mills, 20 tanneries, 15 currying establishments, 4 distilleries, 3 breweries, 1 planing and 10 saw mills.