Mouldings. Figs. 5 to 12, Plate L., show different kinds of mouldings for " panels," or for " architraves;" the principal elements of which are the "ovolo," as in fig. 12; the "cavetto," as in fig. 8; the "ogee," as in fig. 10; figs. 5, 6, 9, 11, are quirked mouldings; fig. 7 is what is termed "ovolo and bead;" fig. 6 "quirked ovolo, bead, and fillet;" fig. 5 " quirked ogee, fillet, and bead." All mouldings which which project from the surface, as a in fig. 18, whatever be their outline, are known by the generic term of " bolection " mouldings. The following are what are called the regular mouldings.

In Plate LIV., fig. 1, we give the fillet at a a, the office of which is to divide different mouldings, in an assemblage of mouldings, from each other. In same fig., b is what is called the " torus," " half round," or "bead;" when it projects from the surfaces, as from c d, it is termed a "cock bead," When a number of small beads run parallel to each other, as in fig. 356, the assemblage is called a " reeding." When the top a of a bead b, fig. 2, Plate LIV., is flush with the face c, and separated by a hollow part or return d, it is called a "quirked bead;' if the returns are double, as at a and b, fig. 3, it is called a "double quirk." In fig. 4 we show the

32 Mouldings 179

Fig. 356.

"ovolo" or "quarter round," fig. 5 being another form of the same; fig. 6 is the "cavetto" or "hollow;" fig. 7 the "scolia;" fig. 8 the "cyma recta;" fig. 9 the "cyma reverse," sometimes called the "ogee;" fig. 10 is a moulding often used in the bases of parts in which mouldings are required to connect a lower fillet a with an upper one b. Fig. 14 is the "congee;" if this is reversed so as to have the fillet under, it is called the "apophygee," and is used to connect the lower fillet, say of a, the base of a column, with the face b of the column itself. Fig. 15 illustrates at a a the termination of what is called a "raking moulding," the lines of which incline, as at b, to the line c, terminated by d, which are the ordinary mouldings of which a a is the raking termination. The method of finding the outline a a from that at d will be found in Technical Drawing and Projection as applied to Architecture and Building.

Fig. 18 illustrates what are called "dentils," which are small pieces with flat faces, as a a, which project from a surface, as e e, below mouldings, as d d, fig. 22. Fig. 22 illustrates the assemblage of mouldings known as an " impost," being the part from which the ribs or mouldings of an arch, as a a, spring. The drawing to the right is an elevation of the inside of the impost. Figs. 357 and 358 illustrate different methods of "fluting surfaces," and figs. 356, 359, and 360, of reedings. In figs. 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, Plate LIV., different "Gothic" mouldings are illustrated; fig. 17 belonging to the "Norman" style; figs. 11 and 13 to the "early English;" figs. 20 and 16 to the "Decorated;" figs. 12, 19, and 21, to the "Perpendicular."

The student will find a description of the styles of Gothic architecture, and methods of describing the curves of the different mouldings, described in Parts I. and II. of the Technical Drawing for Architects and Builders.

32 Mouldings 180

Fig. 357.

32 Mouldings 181

Fig. 358.

32 Mouldings 182

Fig. 359.

32 Mouldings 183

Fig. 360.