This wheel, although commonly known as "Morgan's Wheel," is in reality the invention of Mr. Elijah Galloway, who obtained a patent for the same in 1829. This patent was subsequently purchased by Mr. Morgan, who has since introduced several material improvements upon the original design. The annexed figure represents the wheel in its improved form as constructed by Mr. Morgan.
a a are the arms of the outer frame of the wheel, which are braced together by the two polygons b and c, and are connected to the arms of the inner frame of the wheel by strong tranverse horizontal stays d d. The paddle shaft does not extend beyond the boss of the inner frame, which is firmly keyed to it; the outer frame revolves upon an arm e, passing through its centre, and keyed into a carriage supported by the spring beam. This arm is formed into a crank between the outer and inner frames, and the pin of the crank supports the revolving collarf, g g g are brackets or stems which turn upon the stays d d, and carry the floats or paddles. One of these stems is connected to a stiff rod or arm h, which is keyed into the collar /; the other stems are connected to the collar by the radius rods k k, which turn upon pins in the collar and in the ends of the stem. The revolution of the wheel causes the collar to revolve by the action of the arm h, and the radius rods cause each paddle to assume in succession the positions shown in the figure.