Question 385.— What is the best way to transfer a bank balance standing in the name of a spinster to her married name? Is a declaration of transmission an actual necessity?

Answer.—We think no declaration is necessary. The only question involved is one of identity. The heading of the account may be changed on advice from the depositor that in consequence of her marriage she takes and will hereafter sign her married name; or she may draw for the balance due her and redeposit in her new name.

If she had money at her credit in her maiden name, and drew a cheque in her married name, the bank (assuming that it was aware of all the facts) would not only be quite safe in honouring the cheques, but probably would be bound to do so.