1. Always use the best cotton only.
3. For the edge of a satin skirt face the hem with cloth or cashmere to match.
5. To shrink the machine band, put on a few drops of machine oil, and revolve rapidly.
6. To sharpen a machine needle, rub on a piece of sandpaper.
1. To soften longcloth, rub with common soap.
6. To mend a large hole in a stocking, cover first with a piece of black tulle, and darn over.
8. To sew on trouser buttons, first place a match under the button, and then sew; remove the match before twisting the thread around.
9. To darn a hole in tweed or serge, tack a piece of notepaper on the right side of the material. Use a very long darner, and darn at the back with ravellings of the same or similar material.