Tuition at the Royal Scottish Academy School of Painting is given by four visitors appointed by the Royal Scottish Academy - Mr. J. Campbell Noble, R.s.a.; Mr. Robert Macgregor, R.s.a.; Mr. E. A. Walton, R.s.a.; and M. William Walls, A.r.s.a. Separate classes are held for men and women.
The school is under the charge of a committee, consisting of four visitors and four members, appointed by the board of management of the college. The college members include the directors and the head of the drawing and painting section.
The school is open to students who have already attended the academy life class or obtained the painting diploma of the college, or an equivalent from another school of art, or who have executed test works to the satisfaction of the committee of the school. All applications for admission should be addressed to the secretary at the college.
Students who attended the life class of the Royal Scottish Academy when it was situated in its former quarters are admitted free, as before. The fee to other students is £5 a session, or £1 a month, and students who pay the fee for the Royal Scottish Academy School of Painting are entitled to attend other classes of the college free of charge.
Students on admission are entitled to remain for two sessions, and even after the expiration of that time, if their progress entitles them to do so.
The following valuable scholarships and prizes in the gift of the R.s.a. are awarded annually on a sufficiently high standard of merit being obtained, and are equally available for both men and women students, the studies of both classes being judged together.
The Carnegie travelling scholarship of about £115, awarded to the best student at the end of his or her course of study.
The Chalmers bursary of about £28 for the best study from life.
The Keith prize of about £9 for the best work of a student in the current Royal Scottish Academy Exhibition.
The Chalmers-jervise prize of about £6 for the best drawing from life.
The Maclaine-walters medal for the best single colour study.
At the end of the last session of 1911, Miss Alice Wilson gained the Chalmers bursary for the best study from life, and also the Maclaine-walters medal.
The Glasgow School of Art - one of the finest and best-equipped in the United Kingdom - was first founded in 1840. It was taken over by the Scotch Education Department in 1899, and established as the central institution for higher art education for Glasgow and the West of Scotland.
In 1909 it moved into its present headquarters, the beautiful building in Renfrew Street, designed by the famous architect Mr. Mackintosh, who has gained a worldwide reputation, and who was himself a former pupil of the school.
The governors of the school are authorised by the Scotch Education Department to grant diplomas and certificates to students, which bear the official endorsement of the department and are accepted by it as proofs of technical capacity, and the various secondary education committees of the country are empowered under the Scottish Education Act to grant maintenance bursaries and maintenance scholarships to enable duly qualified students to obtain education in the day and evening classes of the school. Certain sections of the school work have been co-ordinated with that of the technical college, chief Board-schools, and other schools and classes of the city.
The instruction given at the Glasgow School of Art embraces an unusually wide and complete range of study. Students training as landscape and figure painters, modellers and sculptors, designers, decorative artists, and art masters and mistresses, have the privilege of working under a teaching staff which includes some of the most brilliant and distinguished artists and art lecturers of the day.
The director is Mr. Francis H. Newbery. In the drawing and painting section Professor Greiffenhagen is head of the life school and composition classes, with Assistant Professor D. Forrester Wilson; Professor Paul Artot for working from the head from life and from the living animal. Professor George Baltus is lecturer on the technical processes of painting and tempera painting, and the history of art and culture. Mr. James Dunlop Dunlop is head of the Lower School, and demonstrator in anatomy. Professor W. E. F. Britten superintends figure and landscape composition. Special classes are
In the section for modelling and sculpture Professor Johann Keller is head of the life and composition classes; Assistant Professor James Gray is head of the antique and preparatory life; and a class is also held for. ornament, stone and wood carving, painting, etc., under a competent instructor.
Decorative Art, etc.
Professor R. Anning Bell, R.w.s. is director of studies in the section for design and decorative art, with Assistant Professor A. Aston Nicholas, A.r.c.a., for the preparatory course and lectures; and special classes are also held for textiles, stained glass, and colour treatments, and textile design.
Miss Ann Macbeth is head of the decorative art studios attached to the design section, and Professor Anning Bell takes charge of the stained glass and mosaics. The other subjects taught include needlework, embroidery, bookbinding and decoration, decorative leather work, enamels, gold and silversmiths' work, metal work and repousse, ceramic decoration, block-cutting, colour printing, lithography, book illustration, poster processes, fashion - plate drawing, sgraffito and gesso, illumination, decoration of interiors, stencils, wood and stone carving, and furniture design, under a large number of highly qualified designers and instructors, amongst whom are Miss Margaret Swanson, Miss Annie French, Miss de Courcy L. Dewar, Miss Jessie Macdonald, Miss Norah Neilson Gray, and Miss Olive C. Smyth.
In the section of architecture, which also forms the "Glasgow School of Architecture," the director of studies is Professor Eugene Bourdon, B.a., Architecte Diplome of the French Government.
The visitors include Mr. E. A. Walton, R.s.a., R.s.w., for water-colour painting; Mr. George Pirie for animal painting; Mr. D. Y. Cameron, A.r.a., A.r.s.a., R.w.s., R.s.w., R.e., LL.D., for etching; and Mr. Allan W. Seaby, principal of the department of fine arts Reading College, for wood-block cutting.
The students now enrolled at the school number over 1,400, of whom 800 are women. About 700 are regular students, day by day, 400 men to 300 women; the surplus is made up by the Saturday classes, of which the proportion is 200 men to 500 women.
Comforts for Lady Students
There is also a housekeeper, who attends to the requirements of lady students, and arrangements have been made by which they may become residents at the following hostels: Queen Margaret's Hill, Hillhead; Rosslyn Club, 10, Rosslyn Terrace, Kelvin-side; or The Young Women's Christian Association, Bath Street. Information as to other lodgings may be obtained from Miss Swanson or from the school offices.
There are separate common rooms for men and women students. Here students can meet between school hours for social intercourse. School refectories are provided, where meals and light refreshments at a fixed tariff are obtainable.