1. If possible, fruit should be fresh out of the garden, otherwise keep them in a cool place, so as to be nice and crisp when used.
2. Fruit should be gathered in dry weather for preference, as its keeping qualities will be found to be better than when wet with rain.
3. Fruit is at its best for canning just before it is perfectly ripe.
4. Fruit for canning should be perfectly sound and free from all blemishes.
5. After fruit has been peeled drop at once in cold water, made slightly salt or acid - any kind of acid may be used, such as lemon juice, vinegar, citric, or tartaric acid. This will prevent white fruits from discolouring.