The buildings in which the Exhibition of 1871 will be held have been designed by Lieut.-Col. Scott, R.E., and are to be of a permanent character. Those persons familiar with the Horticultural Gardens know the long ornamental arcades parallel with the Albert and Exhibition roads. At the back of these arcades is a piece of waste ground, some 200 feet wide, extending to the road. On these strips of land the two main exhibition buildings are to be built. At the northern ends, these main buildings will be placed in communication with the conservatory of the Horticultural Gardens, and through it with the new Albert Hall of Arts (the grand promenade of which will be utilised for exhibition purposes, the educational collection being placed therein) by covered approaches, which are being made upon the top of the arcades connecting them with the conservatory. The southern ends of the main buildings will communicate with the permanent portion of the Exhibition building of 1862, which forms the southern boundary of the Horticultural Gardens. By this means the building will completely surround the gardens, to which the public will be admitted at certain times and under special conditions, which have yet to be decided upon.

The buildings are in the decorated Italian style, with mouldings, cornices, columns, and courses in buff-coloured terra-cotta; the brickwork being of the hard red Fareham bricks, so as to match the garden architecture, and harmonise with the new Museum buildings which are rising in front of them. The terra-cotta and red Fareham bricks are more durable against a London winter than even granite. The buildings altogether will accommodate 50,000 people. H.R.H. the Prince of "Wales is the president of Her Majesty's Commissioners of the Exhibition; Messrs Spiers & Pond are to be the refreshment contractors; Messrs Chaplin & Home the carriers; and Her Majesty's Commissioners have entered into arrangements for the printing and publication of the official catalogues by Messrs J. M. Johnson & Sons, of Castle Street, Holborn, London.