John McArann was probably a Scotchman. About 1804 he became gardener for William Hamilton, of the "Woodlands," and was in his employ until about 1811. In the meantime he had laid out and improved Lemon Hill (now in Fairmount Park) for Henry Pratt, the owner. In 1811 he went in partnership with Thomas Birch, who had leased George Honey's Garden, which occupied the square from Arch to Race and from Schuylkill Second (Twenty-first) to Schuylkill Third (Twentieth) street. Honey's Garden, in addition to its plants and trees, conservatories and nurseries, was attractive as a place of resort, made so by the invitation of the proprietors and the furnishing of refreshments to the visitors, among which were tea, coffee, milk, mead, metheglin, ice cream, etc. Birch & McArann continued at Honey's Garden for eleven years, when they dissolved partnership and relinquished control to August D'Arass.

McArann, in 1823, established his nursery and seed garden on the lot already described between Seventeenth and Eighteenth streets. In 1824 he advertised that he was prepared to supply visitors with strawberries and cream. In 1825 he published a similar notice, adding that he had gone to a great expense to fit out his garden in a style superior to any about the city, " as he hoped to make it a place of resort to a genteel public".

The garden of McArann was attractive. His dwelling-house was situate not far north of Filbert street, at about 100 feet west of Seventeenth. It was an old-fashioned brick, apparently made up by additions which had been added from time to time. East of the residence the garden space, in the shape of a parallelogram, was surrounded on three sides by rows of small boxes opening on the garden, each furnished with narrow benches and tables for the accommodation of the visitors. In the house there was a bar-room for the dispensing of liquor, ice cream, fruits, confections, etc. The latter were generally carried out to the guests in the boxes, which, in the summer, were cool and agreeable, there being many trees to shade the enclosure. At night colored lanterns added a mild fascination to the scene.

Adjoining the residence on the west, and about the spot where the Church of the Covenant was afterwards built, was the Conservatory, a broad structure, some twenty or thirty feet in height, for the preservation and exhibition of fine plants and trees. It was furnished with glass doors and windows, which extended from the ground nearly to the roof, and which in summer time were left invitingly open. Adjoining this building was a hot-house, with glass roof, which extended westward as far as Eighteenth street. There were also boxes along the Filbert street front and a walk between them and the hot-house, which extended to the extreme end of the property and was bordered by trees and flowers. Either in day time or at night, when highly illuminated, McArann's was a charming place, and for several seasons was well patronized.

Altogether the garden enclosure contained about four acres. Between the dwelling-house and attachments extending up to Arch street there was at one time a small menagerie and aviary containing at times an eagle or two and other captive birds, and a wild animal or so, perhaps a fox - perhaps a monkey.

The northern portion of the ground was the nursery. It was thickly planted with young trees, mostly for shade purposes, and in this line Mc-Arann must have done a fine business. - Public Ledger.