"Johnson's Horticultural Works," and especially " Johnson' Gardeners' Dictionary," are so well known, and have been so highly appreciated, that our readers will be, many of them, sorry to learn of the death of the author, through the following paragraph from the Gardeners' Chronicle. Mr. Johnson, being deaf, seldom made his appearance in societies and conventions. - but he made up for this by untiring industry in the privacy of his own library to do as much good to his fellow-men, probably, as if he had the privileges of other men.

" For the details which follow we are indebted to the courtesy of the Editor of the Journal of Horticulture. George William Johnson was born on November 5, 1802, at Blackheath. Together with his elder brother, Cuthbert, well known as a writer on agricultural subjects, George devoted his attention to chemistry, and its practical application to agricultural purposes. Their father's salt works at Heybridge in Essex supplied both the incentive to research and the means for carrying it out. As early as 1826 Mr. Johnson began to write for the horticultural press, and to Loudon's Gardeners' Magazine he, in 1827, contributed a series of papers on chemistry as applied to horticulture. Other literary work followed during the time the author was reading for the bar. After being " called " at Gray's Inn, he proceeded to India, became a Professor in the Hindoo College of Calcutta. Here he did much journalistic work, including the editorship of the Government Gazette.

"Mr. Johnson, however, only resided in India for a few years, and on his return to this country again turned his attention to gardening pursuits and horticultural literature. In 1848 he founded the Cottage Gardener, as above stated, and in 1851 he became associated as Editor and proprietor with Dr. Hogg, and the friendship and conjoint labors of these two men was, to those who knew the circumstances, one of the pleasantest episodes of the journalism of our time.

" After eighty-four years of life, the long working period of which was so usefully and so honourably filled, George William Johnson was laid to his rest in the burial-ground of St. Peter's, at Croydon, on Nov. 4th".