In 1839, Mr. Loudon began to lay out the Arboretum so nobly presented by the late Joseph Strutt, Esq., to the town of Derby. In the same year, he published his edition of Repton, and his Second Additional Supplement to the Hortus Britan-nicus. In 1840, he accepted the editorship of the Gardener's Gazette, which, however, he only retained about twelve months.

In 1840, Mr. Loudon, having a great desire to examine some of the trees in the Jardin des Plantes, in order to identify the species of Crataegus, went to Paris; and as his health was beginning again to decline, I went with him, taking with me our little daughter Agnes, who was then about seven years of age, and who, from this time, was always the companion of our journeys. We went by way of Brighton, Dieppe, and Rouen, to Paris, ascending the Seine, and we remained in France about two months.

When Mr. Loudon left Scotland so abruptly in 1831, he promised his friends to return the following year, and indeed, fully intended to do so, but various circumstances occurred to prevent him, and it was not till 1841 that he was able to fulfil his engagement. In the summer of that year, however, soon after the publication of the Supplement to the Encyclopoedia of Plants, Mr. Loudon, Agnes, and myself, went from London to Derby, and, after spending a few days with our kind and excellent friend, Mr. Strutt, we proceeded through Leeds to Manchester. It rained heavily when we arrived at Leeds, but, Mr. London having determined to visit the Botanic Garden, we went there in a most awful thunder-storm, and the whole of the time we were in the garden the rain descended in torrents. We were all wet, and we had no time to change our clothes, as, on our return to the station, we found the last train to Manchester ready to start, and Mr. Loudon was most anxious to proceed thither without delay. When we arrived at Manchester, he was far from well, but, notwithstanding, the next morning, though it still rained heavily, he insisted upon going to the Botanic Garden. Here he increased his cold, and when we returned to the inn, he was obliged to go to bed.

The next morning, however, he would go on to Liverpool, and, though he was so ill there that when we drove to the Botanic Garden he was unable to get out of the coach, and was obliged to send me to look at some plants he wished to have examined, he would sail for Scotland that night. He was very ill during the voyage, and when we landed at Greenock he was in a high fever. He persisted, however, in going by the railway to Paisley, and thence to Croslee Cottage, where we had promised to spend a few days with our kind friends, Mr. and Mrs. Woodhonse. When we arrived there, he was obliged instantly to go to bed. A doctor was sent for, who pronounced his disease to be a bilious fever, and for some time his life appeared in great danger.

It was six weeks before he could leave his bed; but as soon as he was able to sit up he became anxious to resume his labors, and taking leave of our kind friends, we set out on a tour through the South of Scotland, visiting every garden of consequence on our route, and making notes of all we saw. Notwithstanding all he had suffered during his severe illness, and the state of weakness to which he was reduced, he exerted himself to see everything; and he was never deterred, either by fatigue or wet weather, from visiting every garden that he heard contained anything interesting. After travelling about a fortnight we reached Edinburgh, but Mr. Loudon only stayed one night; and, leaving Agnes and me there, he proceeded on the 13th of August alone to Glasgow, on his road to Stranraer, where he was going to lay out the grounds at Castle Kennedy, for the Earl of Stair.

On the 1st of September he returned to Edinburgh, which of course he found greatly changed since he had resided there thirty-seven years before; and, for the next fortnight, he had great pleasure in showing me the places he had known when a boy. On the 13th of September, having hired a carriage at Edinburgh, we set out on our return home by land, and, at Newcastle, we spent two or three days with our friends Mr. and Mrs. Sopwith.

In December, 1841, appeared the first number of the .Encyclopoedia of Tree* and Shrubs, the work consisting of ten monthly numbers. The abridgment of the Hortus Lignosus Londinensis was published immediately on the conclusion of the Encyclopaedia of Trees and Shrubs, and in May, 1842, appeared the First Additional Supplement to the Encyclopaedia of Cottage Architecture.

In addition to the works which have been enumerated, Mr. Loudon contributed to several others, such as the Encyclopoedia of Domestic Economy, and Brande's Dictionary of Science, Literature, and Art. He also wrote the article "Planting" for the new edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

\ Early in March, 1842, he had an attack of inflammation of the lungs, and, on his recovery, we went down to Brighton for some weeks. We afterwards made a tour through Somersetshire, Devonshire, and part of Cornwall, and, on our return to Exeter, Mr. Loudon went to Barnstaple, in the neighborhood of which he was about to lay out some grounds for Lord Clinton, sending Agnes and myself back to London. When he returned home, I noticed that he had a slight cough, but, as it was trifling, it did not make me uneasy, particularly as his spirits were good. He now finished his Suburban Horticulturist, which had been began two years before, but had been stopped on account of his illness in Scotland; this work was published by Mr. Smith, of Fleet Street, all his other works, from the appearance of the Encyclopaedia of Gardening, having been published by Longman.

In 1843, his time was chiefly occupied by his work on Cemeteries, with which he took extraordinary pains, and which was very expensive, from the number of the engravings. In August, we were invited to Derby to pay another visit to Mr. Strutt, but he was too ill to go, and the doctors pronounced his complaint to be a second attack of inflammation of the lungs.