This section is from the book "The Beverages of the Chinese; Kung-fu or Tauist Medical Gymnastics; the Population of China; A Modern Chinese Anatomist and A Chapter in Chinese Surgery.", by John Dudgeon. Also available from Amazon: Kung Fu, or Taoist Medical Gymnastics.
For the last half of the Sixth Month, the kung-fu is sit quite straight, extend the fingers upwards, bend them backwards, perform this 3 times, then bending them to the front in the same way in front and behind alike.-To cure the loins, spine, feet and knees of paraplegic wind, and to disperse the vicious air of the bladder.
The spleen is called "Constantly Present;" designation, the "Soul's Residence;" - in form, phoenix like. It secretes the soul, resembles an upturned basin, colour like white reflected on yellow, covers the centre above the navel, in front covers horizontally the stomach, its pulse issues out of the side of the end of the big toe of the left foot just at the corner of the nail, distant about the breadth of the leaf of the chiu-ts'ai (allium tuberosum).. (See illustration).
During the Sixth Month, the following exercise is given as directing into the right courses. Extend one foot, bring both hands to the front, and let them draw the feet 3 x 5 times. Also kneeling, both hands grasping the earth, turn the head and look, using force and looking like a tiger 3 x 5 times. This exercise can drive away the rheumatism which obstructs the spleen, and promotes digestion.
The tiger appears as the illustration of the lungs in the kung beginning the Autumnal three months. Its spirit's name is "Truly Beautiful," and its designation "Empty Completeness." It is like a tiger, and secretes the soul. It resembles the suspended bell (ching) of the Buddhists; its colour is like white reflected on red; it is placed above the heart, opposite the chest, and is of 6 lobes. Its pulse issues from the inside of the end of the thumb of the left hand, distant from the nail over two fen, in the middle of the hollow there. (See illustration).
The kung for the Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Months is with both hands to grasp the ground, contract the body, bend the spine, raise the body 3 times, to disperse the vicious wind of the lungs and the old injuries that are there collected. Also turn the fist and beat the back with the left and right hands each 3 times, to drive out the enclosed poisonous air in the thorax; and, after having done this for a long time, shut the eyes, knock the teeth, and rise. 13. - For the Solar Term of the Seventh Month, called "Beginning of Autumn." - Both hands to the ground, contract the body, close the breath, raise up the body in a jerking manner 7x8 times, etc. To fill up the empty (weak) and injured parts, to dispel the air of the loins and kidneys collected there, the heart and ribs painful and so unable to turn the body, the face as if covered with fine dust, the outside of the foot hot, head-ache, jaws painful, eyes projecting, canthi painful, sternum and arm-pits swollen and painful, paroxysms of cold perspiration. (See Figure).
14. - For the Middle of the Seventh Month, termed "Stopping of Heat." - Turn the head to the right and left, raise the head, turn the two hands and beat the back each 5x7 times, etc. To cure rheumatism, pain of the shoulder, back, chest, ribs, thighs, knees, small blood vessels, outside of the leg and ankle, pain of the various joints, cough, asthma, shortness of breath, thirst, - all will then disappear. (See Figure).
15. - For the Solar Term of the Eighth Month, termed " White Dew" - Seated upright press the two hands on the knees, turn the head, pushing and stretching it each 3x5 times, etc. To cure rheumatism of the loins and back, aguishness, epistaxis, lips deepened in colour, neck swollen, aphasia from disease of the pharynx, face of a dark colour, retching, inclination to sing and desire to ascend high places, eager to cast off clothes and go about naked (insanity). (See Figure).
16. - Middle of the Eighth Month, named "Autumnal Equinox." - Sitting cross-legged, both bands covering the ears, turn sideways to the right and left 3 x 5 times, etc. To cure rheumatism of ribs, loins, thighs, knees, and ankles, distension of the abdomen with rumbling of air, feeling as if air were colliding with the breasts, the thighs legs and ankles painful, incontinence of urine, inability to turn the thighs, from the ham space to a little above the ankle feeling as if ripped up, very rapid digestion, fluids eargerly drunk, stomach cold, asthma, dyspnoea. (See Figure).
17. - For the Solar Term of the Ninth Month, called Cold Dew." - Sitting upright raise both arms, jerk up the body as if supporting something, right and left 5x7 times, etc. To cure all sorts of vicious wind, cold, and damp, pain of the ribs, head, neck, loins, and spine, head-ache, eyes as if falling out, neck as if being pulled out, haemorrhoids, fistulŠ in ano, insanity, head painful on both sides, frontal pain and also pain of vertex, yellowness of eyes, polypus, epistaxis, cholera, and such like. (See Figure).
18. - Middle of the Ninth Month, termed "Frost's Descent" - Seated even, extend both hands and seize the feet; and, accompanying this exercise, use strength in the middle of the feet, then relax and withdraw the hands 5x7 times, etc. To cure wind and damp having entered the loins, inablity to extend and flex the feet and thighs, painful joints, lower part of leg painful as if laid open, painful head, back, loins, pelvis, thighs, knees, muscular paralysis, lower portion of body swollen, evacuation of pus and blood (dysentery), the small abdomen distended and painful, difficult and painful micturition, tendons cold, gout, haemorrhoids, prolapsus ani. (See Figure).