During the years that followed, we tried to achieve results similar to those obtained with ethyl mercaptan by using other agents with bivalent sulfur. The one most commonly used was the so called "sulfurized oil" containing fatty acid hydropersulfides, whose pharmacological characteristics have been discussed previously. Sulfurized oil's effects on pain and systemic manifestations were less impressive than those of the mercaptans but better than those of unsaturated fatty acids and their derivatives. In several cases, tumor disappearance was actually observed. Generally the clinical results were neither as consistent nor as persistent as with the mercaptans. With the use of this product alone, however, long term favorable responses were the exception. For example:

Mr. I. G.—White male, was operated on at Maimonides Hospital in January 1950 at the age of 56. A pyloric mass was found and a subtotal gastrectomy was performed. Diagnosis of adenocarcinoma of the stomach was made. Microscopic examination showed a large area of replacement of gastric mucosa by atypical glands, with a great mass of abnormal cells invading the submucosa. These cells extended into the first part of the duodenum. There were post operative complications with abscess formations in the wound, which were incised and drained. With new complaints of pain in the upper abdomen, and rapid loss of weight, the patient was admitted to Monticello Hospital in July 1950, and to Kings County Hospital twelve days later. He was then transferred to a nursing home with a diagnosis of terminal cancer with recurrent tumor in the upper abdomen and metastases to the chest. He remained at the nursing home for seven weeks. In September, he came under our care.

At this time, he had lost 39 lbs., and complained of extreme weakness, pain in the lower chest and upper abdominal region, and cough with he moptoic sputum. The pain was only slightly relieved by narcotics and the general condition of the patient was considered very poor. A large mass was found occupying the entire upper abdomen; X ray examination of the chest showed masses in the right lung. No fluid was obtained from several chest punctures.

Based on the urinary analyses, the patient was treated with a preparation of hydro persulfide. The response was excellent. Not only was his pain rapidly relieved but the mass in the abdomen progressively decreased in size. Evidence of lung involvement slowly disappeared in X ray studies. After November 1950, he continued the treatment at home for over 13 months after which he resumed his old job as a millinery cutter. He had gained 55 lbs. since beginning treatment. For the past 7 1/2 years, he has worked without interruption and there has been no clinical evidence of malignancy. The extreme condition under which the patient came into our care can explain the length of time needed for general recovery and his inability, despite disappearance of the tumoral masses within a few months, to resume his job for more than a year.