This section is from the "Impaired Health: Its Cause And Cure" (Volume 1) book, by John H. Tilden. Also available from Amazon: Impaired health its cause and cure: A repudiation of the conventional treatment of disease
Nearly all beverages--even water--contain lead. Water pipes, cisterns, reservoirs, etc., are built in such a way as to impart more or less lead to the water. All soft drinks charged with carbonic acid carry lead. Seltzer water and the lighter alcoholic beverages all carry more or less lead. Flour and bread often contain lead. Pewter, which is used to solder, contains lead. The pewter foil around chocolate, and the grinding machines used by butchers, impart more or less lead to the materials with which they come in contact. The diseases developed from lead toxin are what are known as lead colic, arteriosclerosis, kidney and other diseases.
Copper finds its way into the body in bread and wine. When copper vessels are used in preparing food and drink, copper can be found in wine, cider, and beer. It is said that condiments prepared with vinegar and pickles always contain copper.
In the quantities taken into the system from the sources named, copper is not thought to be greatly detrimental.
Arsenic is far more injurious than copper. It is to be found in wines. It is used as a preservative--to prevent fermentation in food. Since the pure food laws have been put into effect, this drug is not so extensively used in preserving food.
Salicylic acid is one of the most extensive poisons used as a preservative. Its use today is not so extensive as a few years ago.
Non-edible vegetables, such as toadstools, sprouting potatoes, and others, furnish an amount of poisoning every year,
Poisoning by animals occurs mainly in hot countries. In our country there are snake-bite, bee-sting, and poisoning by the eggs of various fishes.
Fish eggs provoke symptoms of cholera--vomiting and diarrhea--accompanied by skin irritation--erythema and urticaria.
Fish are said to be made toxic by living in water containing putrefactive matter.
Oysters are said to be poisonous when living close to the outlets of sewers.
The wholesomeness of healthy fish is questioned. Those who use much fish food are liable to develop skin and liver diseases. Probably, however, one is no more liable to develop disease from fish than from other food eaten beyond the power of the organism to utilize well.
All foods become toxic when indulged in beyond the real needs of the body.
The meat from overworked animals, those run down and killed, those that are slaughtered after fatty degeneration has well set in, is poisonous.
Stall-fed animals, that would die from disease in a short time if not butchered, are disease producing.
Blasted grains--wheat, rye, and corn--are poisonous to animals as well as to man. Pellagra comes from starch poisoning--so we are informed by those who have had experience in treating the disease.