The family was distraught. Six months later at three and one-half years, Graham was taken to the Toronto Sick Children's Hospital. Here the verdict was, "badly retarded (42% ) - put him in an institution and forget about him."

Even though it now meant the greatest effort of self-discip-line, restraint, and self-sacrifice, the family decided to struggle on. Another two years of what, to most people, would have been unendurable, dragged by. Graham seemed bent on missing no turn at destruction of some sort. He ran away at every opportunity. If scissors were left forgotten he cut everything in sight, drapes, curtains, and clothes especially. He killed a chicken, almost succeeded in burying two kittens alive, and started three fires in the basement of his home. He took electrical switches apart, and pushed his little brother down the basement stairs. He put stones in a car gasoline tank, and stuck his arm in the washing-machine wringer after turning on the machine. Anything that could be poured went down the drain - cleansers, soap powders, and countless rolls of toilet tissue - to name a few of his pranks. Only the greatest love and patience could have endured such harassment.

Now Graham was nearly six and his parents were advised to take him to Mayo Clinic. The final word there was, Badly retarded - no hope, and to take him back in a year for more tests. This discouragement led to taking him to a Montreal neurological clinic. Here a similar verdict was given, "no hope". The mother had intended leaving Graham here for treatments and there had been suggestions of brain operations, but the little boy clung so tightly to his mother and seemed so terrified, that she decided against it.

Bad behaviour still persisted, but the parents continued to search zealously for a solution. The Levinson Foundation was the next to be approached. Here the parents were told that Graham had an I.Q. of 59 minimum and encouraged them to teach him. E.E.G. tests were taken, and indications towards having fits or seizures were said to be strong, his parents were warned. Teaching of simple things was then begun at home. Six months later the boy was taken back for another check-up. Some improvement was noted and some of the tests given to Graham were done as quickly as by a normal child. The advice was to keep on teaching him. This was one of the few encouragements along the tragic line, yet it did little in solving the behaviour pattern.

At eight years Graham was taken to a local doctor who, on account of the misshapen head, suspected thyroid deficiency. A hospital check-up proved this to be wrong, and once again the outcome was, no help.

Graham, now nine years of age, was entered into a school for retarded children. He was unable to sit still, and in three years learned eight words and many bad habits, so he was taken out of the school and his parents again started teaching him by correspondence courses. He was at Grade One level, but work improved greatly. Teaching at home has continued ever since, and at fifteen, Graham was starting Grade Three work.

At this time Graham was given another check-up in Philadelphia. The report was: brain injury - 20% - not mental retardation. Certain exercises for patterning all parts of his body were assigned - to be done every day - no holidays.

In March of 1968, a year later, an examination by the same institute showed a mental improvement, but headaches had become severe and were a daily occurrence. It was suggested that Graham have a scan and glucose test at a later date if his headaches persisted. That same month Graham was brought to Fran's home and so now Fran takes over his story.

Graham's mother contacted me originally through a letter. At that time she was unknown to me. Later she told me that it was by word of mouth that she had heard of the work we were doing by polarizing and channelling. She explained in her letter that she had a boy of sixteen who had some brain injury. Their home is in Vancouver, and only after considerable persuasion on her part, it was arranged that she bring her son over and we would discuss his trouble in relation to the work I was doing. My great reluctance to become involved was mainly due to the fact that he had been subjected to the X-rays before birth - at the fetus stage of five months - and since birth had had numerous other X-rays, mostly on his head. It was the "prior to birth" X-ray that caused my deepest concern, for a polarized magnetic pattern characteristic of the vertical and horizontal energies of that point jells and sets in the bones around the time of birth. What effect or deviation would this X-ray have caused? Could a coherent and dependable wave pattern be detected? If so, how would the brain damage be affected by polarizing?

I explained all these concerns and uncertainties to Graham's mother, but was finally persuaded by a deep feeling of compassion - a compassion for a boy who had lived the whole sixteen years of his life in a state of confused torment - compassion for a mother who had strong faith that something could be done - something more than putting her son in an institution and forgetting about him - a mother who chose the path of self-sacrifice and tolerance, expressed in love and understanding - one who had become affronted by the request of a neurologist for a sample of Graham's brain for research with the comment that the boy was no good the way he was.

To turn one's back for fear of trying seemed sheer cowardice!

On March 4, 1968, Graham and his mother arrived for their initial consultation. It was a day that not only opened the door to a better life for Graham, but it also opened the door to a new phase of our research - the wave mechanics of the brain.

Graham gave one the impression of being rather like a robot. His walk was an uncoordinated gait with a tendency to fall backwards. Amazingly, he had learned to read a little and had even learned most of the times tables. His speech was guttural and monotone, though his hearing was good. His sentences consisted mostly of two or three words repeated over and over. Thoughts were generally incoherent. To understand him it was necessary to turn to his mother for translation. Like a robot he would neither smile nor laugh and the Lord knows he had little reason to. In observing closely, one had the feeling he had quite an active brain but was unable to coordinate or organize his thoughts. This observation has proved to be true.

It often takes deviations to prove the principle and detect the villain responsible. What was the villain in this case? Let's take it step by step and find out, much in the same manner as a detective picks up clues and tracks down the villain.

There is no better way to understand and comprehend than to feel the results for oneself. I explained this to Graham's mother, for she had to make the decision and take the responsibility if Graham tried polarizing. I further explained that for my part I only convey the knowledge we have gained about our own individual pattern of magnetic energies. I illustrated how these energies can be harnessed and utilized by everyone. It is up to the individual to align himself and polarize.

If, at this point, you feel confused over the terminology, polarizing and "channelling", remember it is intended that this be explained later in the book, step by step, and in sequences that uncovered the clues that finally led to the use of it.

So that Graham's mother could better comprehend the potentials of the magnetic energies that polarize, I questioned her about herself. What X-rays had she had - what aches or pains?

It appeared that she was suffering from pains in her elbows-suggested by doctors to be arthritis. This had been extremely painful for about six months. Her hands and arms were now losing their strength and as a result it had been difficult to write.

I helped her locate her channel and gave her instructions on how to de-polarize the X-rayed bones, and next to re-polarize them into the same energy pattern as the remainder of her body. She was shown how she could stimulate the trouble spot in her elbow as she polarized. This she did. Her look of amazement would have been good to record, as almost immediately she was able to bend her arm with ease and felt no pain whatsoever. A little discomfort did return later, but this was corrected with subsequent polarizing. The real thrill and realization of one's energy circuit is felt when one is first clearly able to locate the direction of his wave channel and feels the benefit from it. Graham's mother was now able to do this.