Austrian Silesia (Ger. Sdilesien), a duchy comprising that part of Silesia which remained to the house of Austria after the peace of 1763, bounded by Prussian Silesia, Galicia, Hungary, and Moravia; area, 1,988 sq. m.; pop. in 1874, 544,459, of whom about 14 per cent, were Protestants, 1 per cent. Jews, and the remainder Roman Catholics. Fully one half of the population are Germans, 29 per cent. Poles, and over 19 per cent. Czechs. The Carpathian mountains pass through it in the southeast, and the Moravian in the northwest, and it is watered by the upper Oder, the Vistula, which rises in the province, and other rivers. About one third of the territory is covered with forests. It is one of the most important grazing provinces of Austria. The mining and weaving industries are important. Before 1849 it formed with Moravia a single administrative province, and then became a separate crown land under the name of the duchy of Upper and Lower Silesia. Until 1866 it was one of the 11 Austrian states belonging to the German confederation, and since 1867 it has been one of the 14 Cisleithan provinces represented in the Reichsrath. The principal towns are Troppau, the capital, Teschen, Bielitz, and Jagerndorf.