Bangor, a city, seat of justice of Penobscot county, Maine, and a port of entry, on the W. bank of the Penobscot river, at its junction with the Kenduskeag, about 55 m. from the ocean and 00 m. N. E. of Augusta; pop. in 18(50, 10,407; in 1870, 18,289. It has a safe and capacious harbor, accessible at the highest tides, which rise 17 feet, to the largest vessels. The city is situated on both banks of the Kenduskeag, connected by a fine stone bridge, toward which the principal streets converge. There is also a bridge 1,320 ft. long across the Penobscot, connecting Bangor with Brewer. Many of the streets are broad and well shaded with elm trees. The chief public building is the custom house, a handsome granite structure, which cost $100,000. Bangor is, next to Chicago, the greatest depot of lumber on the continent, 200,000,000 feet being frequently received in a year. The head waters of the Penobscot traverse immense forests of pine, spruce, and hemlock. The cutting and hauling of this timber to the river in the winter, driving, booming, sawing, and rafting it, and loading, it on vessels in the harbor, give employment to a large number of men. About 2,000 vessels are annually engaged in this trade, during the eight or nine months in which the river is free from ice.
The city is also the centre of a fine agricultural district. The Bangor theological seminary (Trinitarian Congregational), originally established in 1816 at Hampden, 6 m. below the city, occupies an elevated position, overlooking the city and the Penobscot river. In 1870 it had 4 professors, 24 students, a library of 13,000 volumes, and an endowment of $120,000. There are 17 churches (7 Congregational, 2 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Free-will Baptist, 1 Universalist, 1 Unitarian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Catholic, and 1 Second Advent), 53 public schools, 6 national banks, 3 state banks, 2 savings banks, and 1 daily and 1 weekly newspaper. The Bangor library association, founded in 1843, has 11,000 volumes. The value of real and personal estate in 1860 was $6,015,601, and in 1870, $9,851,561. The city is connected with Portland, Boston, and other points on the coast by two lines of steamers. By a branch of the Maine Central railroad it has railroad connection with Waterville, Belfast, Augusta, Bath, Portland, etc. The European and North American railway is to form the only all-rail route between Bangor (where it connects with the Maine Central railroad) and St. John, New Brunswick, a distance of 200 m.
The imports for the year ending June 30, 1871, amounted to $51,094, and the exports to $163,385. The clearances for foreign ports were 29 American vessels, of 5,777 tons, and 56 foreign, of 6,232 tons; entrances, 4 American vessels, of 1,039 tons, and 47 foreign, of 4,414 tons. In the coast trade 284 vessels, with an aggregate tonnage of 190,237 and 6,216 men, entered, and 22 vessels of 3,618 tons cleared. The number of vessels registered, enrolled, and licensed was 192, with an aggregate tonnage of 26,659; and there were 9 vessels, of 526 tons, engaged in the cod and mackerel fishery. - Bangor was incorporated as a town in 1791, and as a city in 1834. It was named by the Rev. Seth Noble from the tune "Bangor."
Bangor. I. A city and parliamentary borough of Carnarvonshire, Wales, situated at the head of Beaumaris bay on the Menai strait, 2 1/2 m. from the Britannia bridge, and 9 m. N. E. of Carnarvon; pop. of the city in 1871, 6,738. It exports slate3, and is much resorted to for sea bathing. A cathedral of the 15th and 16th centuries, occupying the site of a church supposed to have been built in the 6th century, a free school founded in the time of Elizabeth, and an episcopal palace, are its most interesting buildings. II. A seaport town of Ireland, county Down, on Belfast Lough, 12 m. E. N. E. of Belfast; pop. in 1871, 2,525. It has fisheries, and is a place of resort for bathing. It was the seat of a famous monastery supposed to have been destroyed by the Danes in the 9th century.