Bedlam, the popular designation of Bethlehem hospital, a lunatic asylum in London, derived from a priory founded in 1246 by Simon Fitz Mary, sheriff of London. After the suppression of the religious houses, Henry VIII. granted it in 1547 to the corporation of London; but it retained the name of Fitz Mary's hospital till 1675, when the building was removed from Bishopsgate without (where now is Bethlem court) to Moorfields, near London wall, in the city of London. The new hospital was laid out by the architect Robert Hooke, and cost nearly £17,000. This second hospital was taken down in 1814, the foundation stone of the third and present establishment in St. George's Fields having been laid April 18, 1812. The building has been much enlarged, and now covers 14 acres and accommodates about 000 patients. The annual income is nearly £30,000, and the expenditure over £20,000. The wretched management of the first hospital led in 1771 to the prohibition of the brutal exhibition of maniacs, whose treatment furnished materials for Hogarth's picture of a madhouse in his "Rake's Pro-gross." Patients partly cured were permitted to go at large, and were called Bedlam beggars, or Tom-o'-Bedlams. The mismanagement continued, though in a far less degree, till 1815, since which time improvements have been gradually introduced.