Berkeley, a N. E. county of West Virginia, separated on the N. E. from Maryland by the Potomac, bounded S. E. by a branch of that river, and N. W. by the Shenandoah mountains; area, 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,900, of whom 1,672 were colored. Its surface is uneven and broken, and its soil stubborn and underlaid with limestone and slate, through which permeate numerous sulphur and chalybeate springs. The Baltimore and Ohio railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 296,975 bushels of wheat, 297,639 of Indian corn, 107,588 of oats, 8,529 tons of hay, 239,493 lbs. of butter, and 41,147 of wool. There were 3,358 horses, 3,050 milch cows, 4,015 other cattle, 9,213 sheep, and 8,892 swine. Capital, Martinsburg.
Berkeley, a market town and parish of Gloucestershire, England, on the right bank of the Little Avon, 1 1/2, m. from the Severn, 3 m. from the Bristol and Birmingham railway, and 15 m. S. W. of Gloucester; pop. of the parish in 1871, 5,523. The Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal extends from Sharpness Point near Berkeley to Gloucester. The town is situated upon a gentle eminence in what is known as the vale of Berkeley, long famous for its butter and cheese, the cheese called double Gloucester being made only here. At the S. E. end of the town stands Berkeley castle, built before the time of Henry II., and still inhabited by a descendant of its founders, Earl Fitzhardinge. In one of its dungeons Edward II. was murdered in 1327. The gate house, hall, chapel, tower, and keep are all in perfect preservation.