Bethany, a village of ancient Palestine, on the E. slope of the mount of Olives, 3 m. from Jernsalem, mentioned in the New Testament as the place where Christ was anointed, often lodged, and raised Lazarus from the dead, and near which the ascension took place. It is now a desolate and dirty hamlet of about 20 families, called by the Arabs El-Azariyeh, or, according to Lindsay, Lazarieh. The monks and Mohammedans point out various objects of curiosity, among which are a ruined tower which they say was the house of Mary and Martha, and the tomb of Lazarus, a deep vault in the limestone rock, probably a natural cave remodelled by human labor, in which the Franciscans say mass twice a year. A church, called the castle of Lazarus, was built over this grave by St. Helena in the 4th century. In the 12th century it became the site of a very important monastic establishment. It was still in existence in 1484, but scarcely any vestige now remains.
Bethany, a post village of Brooke co., W. Va., 10 m. N. E. of Wheeling. It is the seat of Bethany college, established in 1841 by the Rev. Alexander Campbell, the founder of the sect of Baptists called Disciples. This college in 1871 had 1) instructors and 107 students.