Biddeford, a city of York county, Maine, on the Saco river, at the falls, 6 m. from its mouth and opposite the town of Saco, with which it is connected by a bridge 500 ft. long; pop. in 1870, 10,285. The water power is excellent and inexhaustible, the fall being 42 feet. About a dozen cotton mills, situated on both sides of the river, are worked by it; there are also extensive manufactories of woollen goods and hardware, iron founderies, and large saw mills, and the place has a large trade in lumber. The valuation of property in 1870 was $5,682,-402; in 1860, $4,593,647. The city has two national banks, 2 savings banks, 1 Congregational-ist, 1 Methodist, 2 Baptist, 1 Universalist, 1 Episcopal, and 2 Catholic churches, 34 schools, and 2 weekly newspapers. There are large fruit nurseries. The Portland, Saco, and Portsmouth railroad, passing through the city, connects it with Portland and Boston. The "Pool," near the mouth of the river, where there is a fine beach several miles in extent, is a place of summer resort.
Biddeford was settled about 1630, and incorporated as a town in 1718, and as a city in 1855. It was named from Bideford, in England.