Birmingham, a manufacturing village of Connecticut, in Derby township, New Haven County, on an eminence at the junction of the Bousatonic and Naugatuck rivers, 11 m. W. of New Haven; pop. in 1870, 2,103. It is neatly laid out, and contains a number of churches and schools, most of which face a handsome public square in the centre of the village. The first considerable pin factory in the United States, established in New York in 1836, was transferred to this place in 1838. There are rolling mills for copper, iron, and steel, factories of carriage springs and axles, bolts, augers, well chains, tacks, and otber articles, and lumber and coal yards. A bridge across the Naugatuck connects Birmingham with Derby, which is a station on the Naugatuck railroad, and has steamboat communication with New York.
Birmingham, a borough of Allegheny county, Penn., on the S. bank of the Monongahela, about 2 m. above its confluence with the Alleghany; pop. in 1870, 8,603. It is a suburb of Pittsburgh, with which it is connected by a steam ferry and a suspension bridge 1,500 feet long. It has important manufactories of iron and glass, and several breweries. East Birmingham, with 9,488 inhabitants, adjoins it on the east.