Brattleboro, a post town of Windham co., Vt., on the W. bank of the Connecticut river, about 100 m. S. of Montpelier and 96 m. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 4,933. The first settlement of the state was made here in 1724, when a military post called Fort Dummer was erected on a spot now known- as "Dum-mer's meadows." The town contains an East and West village. The West village, on Whetstone creek, is devoted principally to agriculture. The East village is situated on the Connecticut river at the mouth of Whetstone creek, and on the Connecticut River railroad. A covered bridge across the Connecticut river connects it with Hinsdale, in New Hampshire. It is one of the wealthiest villages in the state. In 1836 an asylum for the insane, endowed with $10,000 by Mrs. Anna Marsh, and still further enriched with appropriations by the state, was opened at a short distance N. W. of the village. The Brattleboro typographic com-pany, established in 1836, with a capital of $150,000, had a paper mill and an extensive printing house, but ceased operations about 1842. There are three hotels, a female seminary, several churches, and two water-cure establishments.
Two weekly papers and two monthly periodicals are published in the town.