A post borough of Fayette co., Penn., on the Monongahela river, where it is crossed by the national road, about 30 m. S. of Pittsburgh; pop. in 1870, 1,749. A bridge over the river has been erected here at a cost of $50,000, and another bridge, of cast iron, over Dunlap's creek, connects Brownsville with the neighboring borough of Bridgeport. In the vicinity are rich mines of bituminous coal. The Monongahela is navigable to this point for large steamboats. II. A city, capital of Cameron co., Texas, on the left bank of the Rio Grande, opposite Matamoros, about 35 m. from the gulf of Mexico, and 310 m. S. of Austin; pop. in 1870, 4,905. It is easily accessible by steamboats, and contains a custom house and several churches. At the commence-ment of the war with Mexico, in 1846, the United States troops under Gen. Taylor occupied this place, threw up a strong work, and, leaving in it a small garrison, marched to the relief of Point Isabel, on the coast, where their supplies were threatened. In the mean time the Mexicans, under cover of the guns of Mata-moros, erected batteries, and on May 4 commenced a bombardment of the fort, which lasted 160 hours.
The Americans defended themselves with spirit, maintaining their position until the surrender of the city to Taylor, but losing their commander, Major Brown, who was killed by a shell on the 6th. It is in honor of this officer that the town was named. There is now a fort (Fort Brown) with a garrison of United States troops at this point. III. A village, capital of Haywood co., Tenn., on the Memphis and Louisville railroad, 57 m. N. E. of Memphis; pop. in 1870, 2,454, of whom 1,010 were colored. It is situated in the midst of a rich, level country, is surrounded by cotton and maize plantations, and is the centre of an active trade. It contains a female college under the direction of the Baptists.