A N. W. County Of South Carolina, bordering on North Carolina, bounded N. E. by the Saluda and S. W. by the Keo-wee; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,269, of whom 2,538 were colored. Its surface is uneven, the Blue Ridge extending along the N. border. Much of the soil is fertile. The Blue Ridge railroad touches the S. W. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,-930 bushels of wheat, 214,759 of Indian corn, 13,523 of sweet potatoes, 55,676 lbs. of butter, and 489 bales of cotton. There were 1,170 horses, 1,819 milch cows, 2,867 other cattle, 4,812 sheep, and 8,500 swine. Capital, Pickens Court House.
A N. County Of Georgia, drained by affluents of the Etowah and Coosa-wattee rivers; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,317, of whom 129 were colored. The surface is elevated and mountainous; the soil of the valleys is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 25,269 bushels of wheat, 191,447 of Indian corn, 13,816 of sweet potatoes, 46,-914 lbs. of butter, 20,285 of tobacco, and 14,-739 bales of cotton. There were 495 horses, 1,271 milch cows, 2,060 other cattle, 4,168 sheep, and 6,828 swine. Capital, Jasper.
A W. County Of Alabama, bordering on Mississippi, and drained by the Tombigbee and its branches; area, about 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,690, of whom 9,638 were colored. Its surface is uneven, and the soil generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,214 bushels of wheat, 254,251 of Indian corn, 19,662 of sweet potatoes, and 8,263 bales of cotton. There were 1,125 horses, 1,546 mules and asses, 6,502 cattle, 4,055 sheep, and 8,339 swine. Capital, Carrollton.
Andrew, an American general, born at Paxton, Bucks co., Pa., Sept. 13, 1739, died at Tomassee, Pendleton district, S. C, Aug. 17, 1817. His family removed to South Carolina in his boyhood. In 1761 he served as a volunteer in the expedition led by Col. Grant against the Cherokees; and at the outbreak of the revolution he was made a captain of militia, and rose to the rank of brigadier general. With Marion and Sumter he kept the field at the head of a partisan corps after the state had been overrun by the British. In February, 1779, he defeated a party of 700 loyalists at Kettle creek, and he was at the battle of Stono the same year. At the battle of Cowpens, Jan. 17, 1781, he commanded the militia. For his conduct on this occasion congress voted him a sword. In June he took the British forts at Augusta, Ga., after a siege of two weeks. At the battle of Eutaw Springs he led a brigade of the South Carolina militia. He led a successful expedition against the Cherokees in 1782, and was subsequently engaged in the negotiation of treaties with the Indians. He was elected to the legislature, and to the convention by which the constitution of the state was adopted.
In 1794 he was chosen a member of congress; subsequently served again in the state legislature; and in 1801 retired from public life.
Francis W, an American statesman, grandson of the preceding, and son of Gov. Andrew Pickens, born in Toogadoo, St. Paul's parish, S. C, April 7, 1807, died in Edgefield, Jan. 25, 1869. He studied law, and commenced practice in Edgefield district. In 1832 he was elected to the legislature, and as chairman of a sub-committee made a report denying the sovereign authority of congress. He was a member of congress in 1834-'44, and in 1844 was elected to the South Carolina senate, where he opposed the secession demonstration called the "Bluffton movement." He was a delegate to the Nashville southern convention in 1850-'51. In 1857 he was appointed minister to Russia, and in 1860 was elected governor of South Carolina. Upon the declaration of secession he immediately demanded of Maj. Anderson the surrender of Fort Sumter, and subsequently cooperated earnestly with the confederates. He retired from office in 1862.