Piqua, a city of Miami co., Ohio, on the W. bank of the Great Miami river, here crossed by three bridges, and on the Miami canal and the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton, and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroads, 73 m. W. by N. of Columbus, and 88 m. N. by E. of Cincinnati; pop. in 1850, 3,277; in 1860, 4,616; in 1870, 5,967; in 1875, about 8,000. The river here makes a bend, leaving a level plateau between the city and the water's edge, while on the opposite side the bank rises boldly. The city is regularly laid out with wide streets. Holly water works are in course of construction. A large business is carried on with the surrounding country, which is rich in agricultural products. Water power is supplied by the canal, and considerable manufacturing is carried on, the principal establishments being car shops, agricultural works, woollen mills, founderies, etc. There are two national banks, with a joint capital of $300,000; graded public schools, including a high school; three weekly newspapers, and 14 churches.