Piscataquis, a N. county of Maine, drained by the Piscataquis and the west branch of the Penobscot and their tributaries; area, 3,780 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,403. Its surface is dotted over with hills and mountains, the highest of which is Mt. Katahdin, and contains a large number of lakes, of which the principal are Sebec, Pamedumcook, Caribou, Chesun-cook, and Moosehead; the last named is the largest, and is 35 m. long by from 4 to 12 m. wide. A large portion of the land is yet unsettled. The Bangor and Piscataquis railroad traverses the S. part of the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,276 bushels of wheat, 36,142 of Indian corn, 140,652 of oats, 35,485 of barley, 352,915 of potatoes, 420,362 lbs. of butter, 57,419 of cheese, 80,753 of wool, and 41,187 tons of hay. There were 2,938 horses, 4,714 milch cows, 2,250 working oxen, 5,764 other cattle, 21,805 sheep, and 2,295 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of leather, 2 of clothing, 4 of saddlery and harness, 7 of woollen goods, and 20 saw mills.