I. A S. E. County Of Massachusetts

A S. E. County Of Massachusetts, bordered E. by Massachusetts bay and S. partly by Buzzard's bay, and watered by Taunton and North rivers; area estimated at 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 65,365. Its soil is not fertile. It is intersected by the Old Colony and Cape Cod railroads and branches. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,924 bushels of rye, 50,462 of Indian corn, 20,080 of oats, 94,766 of potatoes, 197,129 lbs. of butter, and 17,525 tons of hay. There were on farms 1,637 horses, 3,263 milch cows, 1,384 working oxen, 2,059 other cattle, 1,986 sheep, and 21,-174 swine. There were 608 manufacturing establishments, employing $5,992,500 capital, and producing goods to the value of $19,859,-796. The most important were 159 of boots and shoes, 4 of cordage and twine, 6 of cotton goods, 13 of hardware, 44 of iron in various forms, 57 of lumber, 3 of cotton machinery, 2 of woollen goods, and 3 of rolled zinc. Capital, Plymouth.

II. A N. W. County Of Iowa

A N. W. County Of Iowa, bounded W. by the Big Sioux river, which separates it from Dakota, and intersected by Floyd river; area, about 850 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,199. The surface consists of rolling prairies. It is intersected by the Sioux City and St. Paul railroad and the Iowa division of the Illinois Central. The chief productions in 1870 were 34,761 bushels of wheat, 22,048 of Indian corn, 22,741 of oats, and 15,480 of potatoes. There were 561 horses, 533 milch cows, 1, 434 other cattle, and 336 swine. Capital, Plymouth Centre.

Plymouth #1

Plymouth, the shire town of Plymouth co., Massachusetts, a port of entry, on Plymouth harbor and Cape Cod bay, at the terminus of a branch of the Old Colony railroad, 37 m. S. by E. of Boston; pop. in 1850, 6,024; in 1860, 6,272; in 1870, 6,238. The town is the largest in the state in point of area, extending on the coast about 18 m. from N. to S. Plymouth village is at the N. end of the town, and is compactly built, chiefly of wood. The harbor, which is large but shallow, is formed partly by a beach 3 m. long, which extends N. and S., and protects it from the waters of Massachusetts bay. About 30 vessels are employed in the bank cod fishery, besides which the chief business is manufacturing, the town containing one of the largest cordage factories in the United States (noted for the excellence of its productions), a manufactory of lines and twine, four extensive manufactories of rivets, tacks, nails, and plate iron, two zinc rolling mills, three manufactories of steel shanks, one of hammers, two of cotton duck (widely known for the superior quality of their products), one of woollens and flannel, one of cotton cloth, two of batting, two of shoes, one of nail kegs and boxes, one of boxes, barrels, etc, with planing mill combined, a machine shop, and a large iron foundery, producing stoves and hollow ware.

The most noted edifice is Pilgrim hall in Court street, built in 1824-'5, which contains a large hall, the public library, and curiosities relating to the pilgrims of the Mayflower and other early settlers of Massachusetts. The burying hill, where some of the pilgrims were interred, is a place of interest. Cole's Hill is noted as the spot where nearly half their number were buried the first winter, but no trace of their graves was preserved. The county court house and house of correction are fine buildings.

Canopy over Plymouth Rock.

Canopy over Plymouth Rock.

The town has a fire department, water works, six hotels, two national banks with a joint capital of $450,000, two savings banks with about $2,500,000 deposits, one high, three grammar, and 22 graded schools, three private schools, two weekly newspapers, and 16 religious societies. It is a place of considerable summer resort. - Plymouth is the oldest town in New England. The pilgrim fathers landed here Dec. 22 (N. 8.), 1620. A portion of the rock on which they first stepped has been placed in front of Pilgrim hall and surrounded by an iron fence. The rock itself is in "Water street, and is covered by a handsome granite canopy. The national monument to the pilgrims, the corner stone of which was laid Aug. 1, 1859, will be ready by October, 1875, to receive the colossal statue of " Faith " by which it is to be surmounted.