Pomeroy, a city and the capital of Meigs co., Ohio, on the Ohio river, about midway between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, at the terminus of the Atlantic and Lake Erie and the Springfield, Jackson, and Pomeroy railroads (in progress), 80 m. S. E. of Columbus; pop. in 1850, 1,638; in 1860, 6,480; in 1870, 5,824; in 1875, about 7,000. It is the fifth place on the river above Cincinnati in trade and commerce. Its prosperity rests mainly on the mines of bituminous coal within its limits and the immediate vicinity, yielding about 16,000,000 bushels annually, of which 10,000,000 are shipped. It is also in the centre of the salt basin of the Ohio valley, and there are 26 salt furnaces within its limits and in the neighborhood, producing about 6,000,000 bushels a year. The manufacture of bromine from the " bittern," or water from which the salt has been ex-, tracted, is carried on very extensively. Iron and nails, flour, carriages, boats, and furniture are also manufactured. The city contains two banks, a Roman Catholic orphan asylum, graded schools, two weekly newspapers, and 15 churches.
Coal mining was first systematically commenced in 1833. The place was incorporated as a village in 1841, and as a city in 1868.