Poonah, a town of British India, on the Moota, above its confluence with the Moola, in the province and 80 m. S. E. of the city of Bombay; pop. about 75,000. It is divided into seven quarters named after the days of the week, and the principal thoroughfares are macadamized. It contains the palace of the former Mahratta rulers, a government school with Sanskrit, English, and normal departments, united with the old Sanskrit college, a seminary for Hindoo girls, extensive water works, an English church with the tomb of Sir Robert Grant, governor of Bombay, who died in 1838, and the capacious and salubrious quarters of the English army, this being the most important military station in the Deccan. Poonah had double its present population and many noted branches of industry while it was the capital of the Mahrattas, whose final overthrow in 1819 was fatal to the town. But it has lately shown signs of improvement, and is connected by railway with Bombay. Paper is almost the only manufacture, and the arid soil of the vicinity is not favorable to production.
It is the capital of the district of Poonah (area, 4,280 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 792,352), a dry mountainous region, almost without trees, and watered chiefly by the Beemah and its affluents.