Prince George, a S. E. county of Virginia, bordered N. by James river and N. W. by the Appomattox, and drained by the sources of the Blackwater; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,820, of whom 5,046 were colored. It is intersected by the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio railroad, and the City Point branch. The chief productions in 1870 were 47,282 bushels of wheat, 164,050 of Indian corn, 31,390 of oats, 20,798 of peas and beans, 1,800 lbs. of tobacco, 2,408 of wool, and 20 bales of cotton. There were 490 horses, 533 mules and asses, 1,271 cattle, 639 sheep, and 3,791 swine. Capital, Prince George Court House.
Prince George's, a S. W. county of Maryland, bordered E. by the Patuxent river and W. by the Potomac and the District of Columbia, and drained by several streams; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,138, of whom 9,780 were colored. Its surface is somewhat hilly and contains great quantities of iron ore; the soil is generally very fertile. It is intersected by the Washington branch of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, and by the Baltimore and Potomac railroad and the Pope's Creek branch. The chief productions in 1870 were 79,706 bushels of wheat, 23,849 of rye, 518,131 of Indian corn, 57,411 of oats, 60,179 of Irish and 8,099 of sweet potatoes, 69,658 lbs. of butter, 12,997 of wool, 3,665,054 of tobacco, and 6,536 tons of hay. There were 3,434 horses, 2,620 milch cows, 1,247 working oxen, 3,108 other cattle, 4,906 sheep, and 9,045 swine. Capital, Upper Marlborough.