A W. Government Of European Russia, bordering on St. Petersburg, Novgorod, Tver, Smolensk, Vitebsk, and Livonia; area, inclusive of lakes, 17,067 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 775,701. The Valdai hills traverse the S. E. part, but the surface is generally level. There are several lakes, the most important of which, Lake Pskov, forming the southern part of Lake Peipus, comes within the limits of the province on the N. W. frontier; and in the southeast there are numerous marshes. A great part of the country is covered with forests of pine, which yield large quantities of pitch. The principal crops are rye, oats, barley, and pulse. Hemp and flax are cultivated. The only important manufacture is leather, and the inhabitants excel in dressing skins. The population is chiefly of Russian origin, but there are a few of other races, including some Mohammedans.
A City, capital of the government, situated on the left bank of the Velikaya, about 5 m. from its mouth in Lake Pskov, and on the St. Petersburg and Warsaw railway, 165 m. S. S. W. of St. Petersburg; pop. in 1867, 12,981. It is enclosed by a wall 5 m. in circuit, and the Kremlin, or citadel, stands in the centre. It is the seat of a Greek archbishop, whose diocese embraces also the governments of Livonia and Courland, and has a cathedral and about 30 other churches, several of which are in a ruinous condition, three convents, several schools, and some charitable institutions. There are many tanneries, and a brisk trade is carried on in lumber, hemp and flax. Pskov is very conspicuous in the early history of Russia. It has been often besieged; in 1614 Gustavus Adolphus was obliged to retire from before its walls.